• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using a Laptop

Share/Bookmark

Using a Laptop

Hi everyone,

Because of home space and travel issues, I\'m buying a laptop to do my work on. I was wondering if a laptop with a 3 GHz processor, between 1 and 2GB RAM, 80Mgb disk would be sufficient to run full orchestral libraries? I\'m also buying an external hard disk drive. Also, can someone recommend the finest soundcard available for laptops? Thanks for any info.

Re: Using a Laptop

hello TonyM

concerning the soundcard: the best available is definitly the RME Cardbus-Interface + Multiface or Digiface! very good soundquality, mixer and very low latency!

hope to help
    rainer

Originally posted by Tony M:
    Hi everyone,

Because of home space and travel issues, I\'m buying a laptop to do my work on. I was wondering if a laptop with a 3 GHz processor, between 1 and 2GB RAM, 80Mgb disk would be sufficient to run full orchestral libraries? I\'m also buying an external hard disk drive. Also, can someone recommend the finest soundcard available for laptops? Thanks for any info.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">All depends what you want from a soundcard ... do you need to record multitracked instruments ? Or do you simply need a 2 in/2 out high quality card?
    Please tell what you wish to accomplish with a laptop and music making.

Primarily, I will need a fast processor and at least 1GB RAM to load a full orchestra and play back my work. I also need to install Sibelius 3 and Logic Audio 5.5. However, someone told me that even with that much power, that laptops were not made to fully support intense audio processing and that pretty soon it would just burn out. So I wanted to know if anyone else is of this opinion. HP has laptops which were made for intense graphics and games programs so in my opinion that should be enough for my purposes.

As for the soundcard, I just want to know which is the best one made for specifically for laptops, regardless of price. Thanks much!

thanks rainer for the soundcard info. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hmmmm, just get a Mac Powerbook! and get the \'proper\' version of Logic (not the unsupported, step-child from 2 yrs ago).

I suspect your friend MAY be correct about the current crop of pc laptops becoming unstable under intense processing. I can promise you that a mac will not, yes, lower clock speeds, but clock speed isnt everything!!! Kinda like the size of yer ...... Biggest isnt always the best ;-)

So, you dont need multitracks ? You still werent really specific.

SWL

Hi

I have the Echo I/O PC Card (PCMCIA) which has GSIF support and was really cheap (cheaper than an M-Audio Audiophile PCI). It\'s really good. With regard to the hard drive, you can get faster internal HDs these days (5400+) which may be quick enough for giga - I don\'t know.

Cheers
    Stephen.

I was referring to Intel Pentiums which have a solid track record of *not* dying. Anyone looking to cut corners and save a few bucks with an AMD processor is gonna get what they for, in your case, a dead CPU. AMD CPU\'s are notorious for running very hot, and I wouldn\'t touch them with someone else\'s johnson. But I suppose that\'s why they have 31 flavors of ice cream.

Originally posted by SWL:
    No, they are different in a few respects .... and heat removal is completely different. It is a fact, that laptop processors can take a beating with audio. I myself burned an AMD processor in a Compaq laptop. When did it die? When i was using a sequencer and gigastudio at the same time. Probably just because it was a Compaq, regardless, laptops get hot!!!!! And they can die!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

SWL, the heat removal question was exactly what my friend was concerned about. She said something about PC CPUs having better cooling systems whereas laptops are so small that the heat has no where to go and thus overheats. You suggested I get a Mac Powerbook. The only problem is, and I know this sounds silly, but I\'m a hardfast PC guy and really don\'t have the time to learn how to use a Mac plus I would want to use Giga.

PS: I will be recording multitracked instruments.

I can second the RME Multiface as a great soundcard choice. I am running it on a Dell Inspiron 5100, 2.4 PIV, 512, and could not be happier. I use SX 2 and record mostly audio, however, I use several virtual instuments as well as Reason and performance has been great with just the internal drive. (firewire on the way)

Hope that helps.

John

Go Back to forum