• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Robert Rodriguez & His Studio

Share/Bookmark

Robert Rodriguez & His Studio

The new Once Upon a Time in Mexico DVD has a great short documentary on Robert Rodriguez\'s sound studio. He takes you on a tour, shows you his audio, editing and music set ups and even does some impromptu scoring for the movie, to demonstrate how technology (he uses GigaStudio/Pro Tools) lets him work \"at the speed of thought.\"

Great stuff.

Re: Robert Rodriguez & His Studio

I also wanted to point out that the DVD has an isolated music and audio track in which Rodriguez discusses his work on the score. He offers examples of his studio mock-ups along with the final result.

Great stuff.

This is a good time to point out that the person behind the scenes for him is George Oldziey, the former composer from Origin. (after us at Team Fat)
    He does alot of the ghost writing and much of the arranging for Rodriguez.

http://www.oldzieymusic.com

Later
    Dave

I was wondering how this guy managed to write, direct, edit and compose.

That sheds some light. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Actually, after viewing the documentary, I have no doubt that he does the majority of it himself. He has a great set up with his editing bay directly across from his music bay, and says he basically composes as he edits. (On the commentary he also says he composes as he shoots and while he\'s writing and while he\'s location scouting,etc.)

The reason he\'s able to do it all is because he doesn\'t have to wait around for someone to interpret his words into action. Communication is instantaneous, BECAUSE he\'s doing it all himself. This allows him to work faster and more economically than most filmmakers.

While Spielberg\'s waiting around to hear what Williams has come up with, waiting to see the dailies, or waiting for the script to be finished, then suggesting changes/rewrites, etc., Rodriguez has already sat down and written his score or his script based on his OWN needs. And since he shoots only on digital video -- which frees him creatively on SO many levels -- he\'s able to cut his production time down to the bone. He doesn\'t even hire a special effects supervisor because technology has allowed him to be in direct communication with the special effects house he uses.

His studio, by the way, is a wet dream for any film composer/filmmaker. I have no doubt that he does it all himself. It\'s obvious he prefers working that way.

As for a ghost writer? Don\'t know anything about that. But I do know that he regularly asks friends and even the actors to contribute music to the score. In Once Upon a Time in Mexico, he had each of the lead actors come up with their own theme music based on their experiences with their characters.

So while this Roberto guy is editing his movie, he\'s also troubleshooting Gigastudio, doing research on sample libraries, editing articulation files, and sequencing? When does he sleep?

So while this Roberto guy is editing his movie, he\'s also troubleshooting Gigastudio, doing research on sample libraries, editing articulation files, and sequencing? When does he sleep?

Based on what I saw it didn\'t look like he spent too much time troubleshooting anything. His setup was VERY sweet. He works all night -- no phone calls, no interruptions. And everything seems to be about SPEED, with this guy.

Keep in mind he bought two of his OWN HD Video cams, which go for about fifty grand apiece.

Wow, I guess I have to put a mark in my Outlook calendar to check the DVD in a few months. Release date here in Holland for the movie is Feb 5 ... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Incredible that Robert can do so many different jobs at the same time.

When your entire life is centered around a single project, I don\'t think it\'s that incredible at all -- even if he DOES wear a lot of different hats.

But let\'s be real. He doesn\'t do these things completely alone. He has employees and crew members who help. There\'s a large amount of collaboration involved. But he\'s very much hands on and in control, much more so than any other writer/director I\'ve ever seen. His philosophy seems to be \"screw convention.\" He\'s always look for new and innovative ways to achieve his goals. Remember, his movie El Mariachi had no crew at all. He did everything but act.

I highly recommend his book, Rebel Without a Crew.

Go Back to forum