• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: SSD (solid state disk) drive.... wow such an (expensive) improvement ;)

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb SSD (solid state disk) drive.... wow such an (expensive) improvement ;)

I did it

I didn't resist

Oh, my hard-working earned money, volatilized in a click... for a little light plastic box... yes not an impressive object itself

But once it was connected inside my PC WOW!!!

I was expecting performance improvement but I didn't realize the pleasure of loading my huge orchestral setup in few seconds instead of several minutes!!!

And such a flawless playback! I got it as samples storage only, but now I'm seriously tempted to buy a new one for the whole system... I got addicted LOL

Definitely, if you may afford it, I reccommend it

Re: SSD (solid state disk) drive.... wow such an (expensive) improvement ;)

What kind (manufacturer) and how much Fabio?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Might pick one up myself!!!

Angelbird:

http://www.angelbird.com/en/prod/crest-xtc-99/

Regards,

Richard

Totally understand what you mean, Fabio. I went a bit further and purchased "two;" one for my laptop and one for my desktop. What a HUGE difference! I've never had a computer work so fast, and not just on boot-up times, though it is nice to get to my sign-on screen in around 15 seconds! Both my SSD's are 500 gig. On my desktop I also installed a one terabyte drive just for saving files. Now when I load ARIA files in either Finale or Sonar, they load incredibly fast!

Best investment I've made in years!!!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

You guys have some nice studio budgets!

Just be sure you don't defrag them! - Not needed, and destructive.

It's too bad they don't last as long as standard drives, but their speed is obviously attractive, if you can afford it.

"Because of the way they are built, an SSD wears down every time they are written accessed."

"You should not defrag an SSD. And performing one will actually reduce the life of your drive."

Help Desk Geek on SSDs

Randy

Dang, thanks for sharing that Randy. I had no idea. I think I will just stick with the regular hard drive. I do a lot of reformatting these days.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Dang, thanks for sharing that Randy. I had no idea. I think I will just stick with the regular hard drive. I do a lot of reformatting these days.
    Well, look up info, Richard - there's a lot out there about SSDs. The few times I've been vaguely tempted, I come up against reports that make me change my mind. My computer techie thinks it's still "too early" to get seriously into them because of the way they start slowing down pretty quickly if you do a lot of activity with them. He thinks they're best for archiving. BUT you should research it on your own.

You understand that what I said was you don't need to defrag an SSD - Some people are doing that, and wearing the drives out. You're doing a lot of "reformatting"--you mean in your music projects--video projects?-- Not sure - well, look up stuff.

Randy

I have started using one (Crucial, 250 GB) for some rather resource-hungry samples from another non-Garritan company. I really like it, so far it's great, samples load much faster than with a conventional hard drive, even connected externally via USB3. But I still keep all my Garritan samples on a regular hard drive, they are smaller in size, and a lot more efficient to load.

Jim

This is for Gary A.

You said you bought one for your laptop and one for your desktop. I'm assuming that they will be used for archiving and storing library samples for fast retrieval. I haven't researched them yet, but are they both EXTERNAL or can you insert one internally in your desktop? Also, are there any specs. on minimum OS software involved?

Thanks for any information you can forward,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Cool Re: SSD (solid state disk) drive.... wow such an (expensive) improvement ;)

Well, mine is: (internal SATA) Samsung MZ-7TE750BW SSD 840 EVO 750 GB. Round 390€ including 21%VAT

It has a software suite for system optimization and for performance diagnostic/monitor/benchmark, and a very good set of technical tips and tricks (a kind of interactive educational, very impressed by the quality of it).

And yes it's not for light and optimized software like Garritan/Aria, but for the 500Gb of VSL and EWQL software I own.

In Italy the little units have a cost of round 1USD per Gigabite (with taxes it goes up to 1€ per Gb ), then due to the need of large space for my samples I decided for a bigger unit, with better euros/Gb rate.

I didn't know about wearing to be honest, but since all the tablet and high-end laptop are going flash, I assumed it's an acceptable technology, and cost only is the limit: I'll let you know.

About budget: yes mine is not so bad , I'm not rich and I don't make money with music, but because music is my favorite hobby, I work also to buy some musical stuff!! I dedicate round 1K€ per year to musical technologies, more or less according the amount I earn in my year-end prize from my emploier company. (the trick is giving more or less 2/3 of it to my wife, so she's happy and doesn't complain... )

Go Back to forum