• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Opus 1?

Share/Bookmark

Opus 1?

Anyone here using Opus 1? I was just sent a copy and haven\'t had a chance to load it up yet. Any thoughts about it?

EDITED to remove the offending letters, NFR. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Opus 1?

Originally posted by robgb:
    Anyone here using Opus 1? I was just sent an NFR copy and haven\'t had a chance to load it up yet. Any thoughts about it?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Write the review yourself you lazy b$&£@*.

Not that it\'s going to be impartial and fair judging by this thread..

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001093

This stinks.

Hi Robgb

I got my copy of opus at new years and my initial impression is very very positive.

The absolute strongest card in the deck IMHO is the legato wind instruments. Having both p and f perf leg is a real treat. You won´t look back for any other library for woodwinds at least.

Strings are really nice too, but they may take a bit more tweak to sound as sweet as the winds, but I´ve discovered layering them with SISS mini gives marvellous results.

The harp and celeste are flat out great.

With the overall range of articulations and the solid amount of percussion I think Opus 1 is a great orchestral package, specially for that price.

If you don\'t own SAM brass to complement with, there might be some sides of the opus brass that leaves a bit to desire. For example there are no mutes avail.
    And the viennese horn are somewhat different from the french horns. (although they are quite nice/smooth in certain cases).

Because of my current workload I haven\'t really tried opus in a big orchestral setting, so my comments are based on initial impression while fooling around. Hope it´s worth anything to you.

Here´s a small mock-up I put together of the Carl Nielsen wind quintet (fl,ob,cl,bassoon,horn)
    mainly performance patches:

www.nicklas-schmidt.com/demo/nielsen.mp3

best regards, Nicklas

Great. Always refreshing to hear some ensemble piece. Good ambience too.

Oh yeah, only VSL woodwinds can pull this sorta thing off.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Marsdy:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by robgb:
    Anyone here using Opus 1? I was just sent an NFR copy and haven\'t had a chance to load it up yet. Any thoughts about it?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Write the review yourself you lazy b$&£@*.

Not that it\'s going to be impartial and fair judging by this thread..
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey, Marsdy, why are you even responding to this thread?

Please, feel free to disagree with my opinion re: GPO, or express an opinion re: Opus 1. But is it really necessary to post here simply to attack me? Very sad, indeed. If you\'re feeling unloved, take it out on your significant other, not me.

Thanks for the sample, Nicklas. Very nice. I particularly like the flute.

I\'ve only loaded up some of the string patches so far and actually like what I hear. I tried combining them with GPO strings and was surprised to find them strikingly similar. They play well together.

I do look forward to checking out the winds -- which have always been my favorite...

What\'s a VSL NFR copy? Is this something you got for free? If so, why? And why do you have to specifically mention this?
    There is something in your post that I quite can\'t get hold of. Like you got something for free and you\'re actually not even willing to test it out yourself before you post that you received it... Based on the other thread, it just sounds prejudiced and pejorative to ask others about the package this way! :s

Sorry if I misunderstand this [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, you don\'t seem to have an impartial and neutral attitude required for writing any serious review.

Jesus, would it have made a difference if I hadn\'t thrown in the NFR? You people slay me.

What exactly is an impartial view? My view is completely subjective based on my use of the product sent to me. That\'s subjective -- not OBjective -- because I don\'t think it\'s possible to be objective when it comes to music.

Is it colored by the fact that it\'s an NFR copy? No. I\'ve blasted many products I didn\'t think deserved praise. Is it colored by anyone else\'s opinion? No. But it IS nice to hear others\' reactions to it.

And THAT\'S all I\'m asking for. Next time I ask, I\'ll be careful not to mention the NFR part. Don\'t want to get anyone\'s panties in a wad. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: p.s. Who the heck ever said a reviewer has to be neutral? That\'s ridiculous. The only job a reviewer has is to give an honest opinion. Neutral is boring and pointless. I don\'t get excited about a product because some developer filled me full of hype. I get excited about it because it EXCITES me. What could be more honest than that?

And to be perfectly clear to some of the brain damaged out there, I DO intend to fully test Opus 1 myself. Fair enough?

Originally posted by robgb:
    And to be perfectly clear to some of the brain damaged out there, I DO intend to fully test Opus 1 myself. Fair enough?

Funny thing is, I just got a review copy of Opus 1 and I don\'t feel like loading 30 gb worth of samples and wading through them...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi there,

Two quotes from you there from different threads.

Which one of them is accurate? I\'m sure your views on GPO are accurate and without having played around with it myself, MP3 downloads from members of this forum sound fine to me.

However, I do think that if you ever get round to reviewing Opus 1, your opinion, subjective or not, would be welcome from the people that sent you Opus 1 in the first place.

Keep taking the tablets.

Go Back to forum