• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Why not Gigastudio 3 as a VSTi ???

Share/Bookmark

Why not Gigastudio 3 as a VSTi ???

Hello together,

maybe i over or missred something but i just asked myself: why not GS3 as a VSTi ???

i mean a lot of you dont use vstis and not cubase or whatever, but why is it not possible to have GS as a VSTi ?? why they do rewire import O_o

maybe you have some arguments, but it would be very cool to have it, or what do you think ?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Why not Gigastudio 3 as a VSTi ???

Hey Alex,

I don\'t know what the future holds for them. But to date, the reason GigaStudio is not a VSTi is because the way it is written is not compatible with that specification.

To make a really huge oversimplification, GigaStudio\'s entire engine is essentially pretending to be a hardware-driver in Kernel-Mode. VSTi must, by its architecture, exist in User Mode programming. GigaStudio has many feature sets and architectural constructs which can\'t be supported in a plug-in. It\'s designed to be \"plugged-into\" more than plugged in.

It\'s really, ultimately, nothing more or less than the fact that GigaStudio is the brainchild of a different vision, with a different set of goals, than is ideal for VSTi implementation. It\'s a fundamentally different beast, and would literally require wholly separate development effort to turn into a VSTi.

I don\'t know. I hear that it\'s in Beta, but I don\'t have a copy.

Hopefully, somebody with first-hand experience can fill in the details.

Yes, it\'s clean and smooth. Basically you install the VST adapter on your Giga machine (or your DAW if you have one do-it-all machine). The machine thinks it\'s a GSIF capable sound device.
    In Giga you select this as your hardware out. In addition to this you get a small VSTi that shows up in your sequencer just like any other VSTi. Insert it into your project, select midi channel on your midi tracks and you\'re set. The audio is routed back from Giga to the VSTi and into your sequencer just like it should.

/Mattias

you say the audio is just routed back into gs, do you have a chance to bounce the tracks internally in your sequ ???

and do you have to still buy several copies of GS when you use several PCs ??

Thanks Mattias! Sounds interesting.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Alex,

Well maybe I wasn\'t clear enough... The audio is of course routed from this virtual GSIF sound card to the accompanying VSTi which is plugged into your sequencer. That way you get the audio in your sequencer just like if you were using Kontakt or any other software synth.

Also, if you\'re using multiple Giga machines and go with FXTeleport in addition to the VSTi wrapper, all audio (and midi for that matter) is seamlessly sent over the network from your Giga computers and right into your sequencer.

Tascam licensing is really not my thing, but I\'m pretty sure you need one license for every computer. You do get discounts on additional licenses though.

Alex 2 [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] - Yes it\'s an interesting solution. I\'ve already ripped my old sound card from one of my Giga machines. The only cables that go to that machine now is the power cord and the network cable!

/Mattias

I\'ve already ripped my old sound card from one of my Giga machines. The only cables that go to that machine now is the power cord and the network cable!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s very cool. I see a room full of DAW\'s on the horizon. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hi mattias and thx for your information [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

greetz
    AlexOne [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Deep in my heart I know that I\'m Alex 1

Go Back to forum