• Register
  • Help

Topic: EFFECTS: Opinions Please

Share/Bookmark

EFFECTS: Opinions Please

Can you give your opinons as to what is most versatile and of the best quality:

Waves
    UAD/Mackie
    TC Powercore
    Thanks

Re: EFFECTS: Opinions Please

I thinks \"Thanks\" is the best. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Really though, do a search of this forum using your list as keywords, and you will learn much.

I disagree Doyle, \'Thanks\' is well overrated. I\'d go for the Powercore. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

One word--Waves. Dollar for dollar, plugin for plugin, you won\'t do better.

The Waves Platinum and Restoration bundles are wonderful.

The Sony Oxford EQ\'s in Powercore format make the TC Powercore worth getting, and the new \"Classic Verb\" for TC Powercore is also getting some great reviews. The other TC Powercore plug-ins are very nice as well.

The UAD has nice plug-ins that offer more of a coloration of sound, such as the Pultec and 1176, and the reverb on the UAD provided by \"Kind of Loud\" Technologies is a thicker sounding reverb of color.

As a generalization comparing UAD and Powercore, I would lean more towards Powercore for acoustic/classical/jazz music when you want more transparency, and UAD for pop music for more coloration of sound, but then again both cards provide useful plug-ins for all styles of music.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Thanks alot you guys...especially you Kip. That was exactly what I was wanting to hear.
    Runamuck

BTW: I\'ve heard that the Waves stuff is fairly CPU
    intensive. Is that still true considering CPUs have increased in power significantly since that Waves plugins were released? I use an Athlon 1.4 gig with 1 gig Ram.
    Thanks again

Waves has a brand new bundle with some great stuff at a low price. Now if I could just exchange the truverb for the Ren-Verb, it would be perfect. Still, a lot of good stuff in there, like the L1....

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by runamuck:

BTW: I\'ve heard that the Waves stuff is fairly CPU
    intensive. Is that still true considering CPUs have increased in power significantly since that Waves plugins were released? I use an Athlon 1.4 gig with 1 gig Ram.
    Thanks again
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, in fact, Waves processors are extremely CPU efficient. The new 3.6 versions are the most efficient yet. On my AthlonXP 2200+, I have yet to load more plugins than the processor will handle, and I\'m talking 24-36 track mixes with EQ and compression everywhere and several reverbs.

Thanks alot Bruce. I know your opinion is highly respected in these parts. Thanks for your time.
    I just saw an add today for a new Ren. Bundle that consists of both Ren 1 and 2 for an awfully
    low price. That coupled with your comments makes
    it very tempting.

Go Back to forum