• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hardware requirements for GS3.0?

Share/Bookmark

Hardware requirements for GS3.0?

Sorry if this issue has been touched already elsewhere, but I wonder what the hardware requirements are for running GS3.0.
    Specifically I\'d like to know if GSIF-compatibility is still needed. If so, are current GSIF-compatible audio cards working with Version 2.5 still ok, or does one have to wait until the card manufacturers provide driver updates?
    Thanks in advance for any information.
    Jens

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Hardware requirements for GS3.0?

Hi Jens,

GSIF...still required
    GSIF2...required to use audio-input features

Efficiency...slightly more efficient than GS2.x on the same hardware, but options exist which can use a lot more CPU--VST hosting, convolution engine, etc.

Hope that helps in short form...

Bruce

Bruce,

Been waiting for GS3 to re-build my older of my two giga puters. My newer giga puter is:

2.8 hz
    2 gig ram
    gigabit LAN
    2 - 160 Raid Drives

Would this still be good for my re-build as you understand GS3 today? I know a lot could change in the next 3-4 months, but what do you think?

Many thanks.

About all you\'ll have left is the case! Is it really worth rebuilding a Giga machine?

Hey Nick,

THAT case has sentelmental importance to me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Good point, though - maybe I\'ll start over. What do you think will be the \'idea\' GS3 machine (within financial reason).

Rob

Jim Van Buskirk told me no Pentium 3 for GS3. Doesn\'t mean it won\'t run, I suppose. I\'m just going by what the lead programmer says. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by synthetic:
    Dual processors won\'t be supported right away, maybe in the future.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So, while we\'re at it, why don\'t we get this thread started right away:

Angry Poster: HELP!!! GS3 won\'t run on my 5GHz PVII... what a piece of crap!!!

Tech Support: Make sure hyperthreading is turned off in the BIOS for HT-capable CPUs

There, your first post for the new support forum. Who should I send the bill to? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Keith

There are lots of conflicting messages about whether GS3 will run on a PIII, and I for one am finding this frustrating. If Bruce says that its MORE CPU-efficient than GS2 (not counting the extras) and GS2 runs happily on a PIII 700 or so, then how come GS3 wouldn\'t? I don\'t get it.

Of course there are PIIIs and PIIIs - when the first generation of PIVs came out, a lot of tests showed them running slower than well-spec\'d PIIIs, for various reasons. Can there really be any basis for saying Giga definitively WILL run on a 1.6 ghz PIV, but won\'t on a 1.4 Ghz PIII?

Its certainly going to be a bit rough for a lot of people if 2.8 Ghz is their minimum spec. That\'s harsh - I don\'t know any other audio software around that makes such demands as a minimum.

Mind you I\'ve always felt people over-estimate the requirements of GS2. I have a friend who has it running well and stable, loading eight or so instruments on a PII 350! (He may well be able to load more, we haven\'t tried).

So we\'ll see. I suppose if one can\'t run the extras - plugins, gigapulse etc - due to hardware limitations, then there\'s not much point in upgrading anyway.

MIDI rules (alternation, legato, etc.) will work with a current GSIF-1 MIDI driver. The kernel-level MIDI driver will require GSIF-2. That just means if your MIDI interface is GSIF-2, your latency will be even lower than in GS2. In other words, really, really low. Just think about a note and it starts playing.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ahh. That was my assumption.

Very cool. We can do everything we can do now with a normal MIDI driver.

We can use the new MIDI rules will our existing drivers.

We get even lower latency with the new driver.

So, a big win for people with their existing drivers, and an additional win for people who get updated drivers.

No losers.

Go Back to forum