• Register
  • Help

Topic: RAM drives to overcome streaming shortcomings...

Share/Bookmark

RAM drives to overcome streaming shortcomings...

Has anyone here heard of RAM drives. The are essentially RAM arrays that behave as a physical hard drive when connected to a computer, except much faster.

With the price of RAM getting more and more affordable, it would seem feaseable to get a 10-20gig RAM drive for around $2000.

Would a RAM drive allow Tascam to access more polyphony, say in the 250-300 voices range?

I really don\'t know much about the technology and I am hoping someone here might have more info.

Re: RAM drives to overcome streaming shortcomings...

Hmmmm are you sure about the prices of these things? If you want your stuff to stay there after a power-off, you\'d need to use NVRAM/FLASHRAM which is A LOT more expensive than regular RAM.

The RAM drive could be based upon conventional RAM. The user would simply need to copy the appropriate gigs from HD to it after starting up. What I don\'t know, however, is if XP can handle that amount of RAM either for the system or for a RAM drive. I\'ll investigate. Sounds like great idea, but then again kind of goes against what the GIGA guys set out to achieve. You might be better off buying a RAID array instead. Much cheaper and lightningly quick.

This would probably make it easier to get more poly.

but really..... 2000 bucks for 20 gigs?

You might as well buy another 1.6 gig Athlon with a fast HD and a good sound card, with 1 gig of RAM. With a 100 gig Drive [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hell you could get two computers for that price. Or atleast close

Go Back to forum