• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: WANT HARA-KIRI?!

Share/Bookmark

WANT HARA-KIRI?!

I recently had my computer fixed with a brand new mobo. I reloaded everything that was needed to compose again, and I ran into a problem.

I usually use the joystick port attached to the mobo for my midi. This new mobo had the port seperately. So that was installed, everything is working fine, plugged in my midi cables, and tried recording some midi. Even with all the settings being correct (I checked dozens of times), there seems to be no midi data going from the keyboard to the computer. I got the input in Cakewalk at MPU-401 which is the joystick port, but still no luck. I switched the cables, checked for loose connections, still no luck.

Any suggestions please....

Re: WANT HARA-KIRI?!

From what I understand you are still using the joystick port?

If this is so make sure that the MIDI IN plug is connected to the MIDI OUT and the MIDI OUT plug is connected to the MIDI IN on the keyboard.

This has caused me much grief on more than one occasion ;-)

Next, check that if you have one of the 3-way switches on the back that it is set to MIDI and not PC-1 or PC-2.

3rd. Check that your synth is set to transmit. And check that the channel you are transmitting on and the channel that the sequencer are receiving on are the same.

Hope these help,

Ben H

Aaron, perhaps check your BIOS and see if there is an option to enable that port.

Also look under the Device Manager in the Control Panel and see if it is showing up or in particular, if something in the hardware list has a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

Most mobo\'s come with a driver cd and its possible that you might have to install some for that particular board.

Regards,

Scott.

I did all those checks already, and the only thing that works is the midi that goes INTO my keyboard. I can\'t record any midi into my sequencer, but I can\'t have midi data going into my computer from my keyboard.

I\'ve tried everything I can think of - I switched cables to see if one was bad, messed with midi configurations on my kurzweil, updated my MPU-401 drivers, ect.

HALP ME! C\'mon you professional techies! I know nothing! HALP!

hmmmm....get a Mac? [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dude...

So I gotta spend MORE money!?! Duuuuuuu~~

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Aaron, you talked about the joystick interface
    (15 pin connector I presume) and your midi in and midi out cables to your Kurzweil. You DID have a midi interface (sometimes called midi adaptor) unit in there somewhere didn\'t you, although you didn\'t mention one? A 15 pin cable that just breaks out to two midi connectors wouldn\'t work, although truthfully I don\'t know where you could get such a thing.

Get back on the air. We enjoy your music!
    Carl

Yes, I had an adapter of some sort that allowed midi cables to be plugged in as well as a joystick. This rig worked before my computer got fixed, but now it doesn\'t? Duuuuuuu~

OKAY, I PLAN TO GO TO THE STORE to get the midisport 1x1 - now VERY QUICKLY - how is the performance in that? Someone told me it has more latency. Is this true? Is the latency the same as a joystick port (which is basically no latency)?

QUICK! Store closes in 1 hour!

Go Back to forum