• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reducing vibrato in solo strings sounds?

Share/Bookmark

Reducing vibrato in solo strings sounds?

Hi, I'm just writing because in GPO4, I find a lot of the solo string sounds to be nearly perfect for my needs, but find (for instance with some of the solo cello parts) that towards the end of the sound, it is really marred by excessive vibrato... I was just wondering if there's any way to lower the vibrato at the end of some of the solo string sounds? Thanks!

Re: Reducing vibrato in solo strings sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by arko02 View Post
    Hi, I'm just writing because in GPO4, I find a lot of the solo string sounds to be nearly perfect for my needs, but find (for instance with some of the solo cello parts) that towards the end of the sound, it is really marred by excessive vibrato... I was just wondering if there's any way to lower the vibrato at the end of some of the solo string sounds? Thanks!
    To be brutally to the point - No, there isn't a way to do that. The vibrato was recorded along with the samples, in the case of those instruments. So, when you play/trigger a note, you can only get what's there in the audio samples of which the programmed instrument is made of.

Some of the GPO instruments have vibrato controllable with AfterTouch - brass, woodwinds - those are cases of samples recorded without vibrato, and then AT is used to introduce artificially produced vibrato controlled by the user.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    To be brutally to the point - No, there isn't a way to do that. The vibrato was recorded along with the samples, in the case of those instruments. So, when you play/trigger a note, you can only get what's there in the audio samples of which the programmed instrument is made of.

Some of the GPO instruments have vibrato controllable with AfterTouch - brass, woodwinds - those are cases of samples recorded without vibrato, and then AT is used to introduce artificially produced vibrato controlled by the user.

Randy
    Hello Randy, thanks very much for telling me this, it's very much appreciated! Regards,

arko02

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've been working with GPO. I wondered if anyone has used a pitch correcting type software to change the vibrato like you would in a vocal? It may take time, but would it work?

Just a thought.
    Earl Green

Quote Originally Posted by earlwgreen View Post
    Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've been working with GPO. I wondered if anyone has used a pitch correcting type software to change the vibrato like you would in a vocal? It may take time, but would it work?

Just a thought.
    That's an interesting thought, Earl. I have the feeling it wouldn't sound very natural, but I want to put that on my "experiments to try" list, since I have the necessary ingredients. When/if I get to it - I'll post results.

Randy

Earl, I'm back with an update. This morning I tested the idea of taming the heavy vibrato with the use of V-Vocal in Sonar.

Fail. I don't know why, but even when I used the LFO tool to completely flatline the vibrato - there was no change in the sound. I can't explain why - it seemed like V-Vocal was broken and not working right or something. But I've used it within the last week, and all controls were working - pitch correction, vibrato control, formant, timing - all of it.

So, for now anyway, I have to conclude that for reasons unknown to me, this idea didn't work - at least it didn't work in my experiment.

Randy

Cool Re: Reducing vibrato in solo strings sounds?

The component of vibrato are actually subtle changes in pitch and aplitude: the reshaping of all of them is not trivial I suppose, and maybe some more sophisticated tool (Melodyne?) is requested, touching several parameters, not only pitch changes.
    Last but not least the resolution of pitch changes is sometime out of the range of the correction algorithm (if it's not designed specifically for vibrato, like in Melodyne), to avoid pitch correction deprivating the sound of expression...

my 2c

I did a quick experiment using global "variation" tool in IL NewTone.

I placed the results samples here with 0% being no effect and 100% with the full effect applied.

My observations so far:

1) At some point as more correction is applied more artifacts are produced that are difficult to control especially at the beginning/end of notes.
    2) Although the pitch variation mellows out there is still significant variation in the volume envelope that still leaves a strong impression of vibrato.

The issue in 1 is probably due to my lack of use/skill in this software. Some of the artifacts could probably be eliminated adjusting the variation on a per/note basis rather than using the global control.
    Issue 2 is pretty significant hurdle though. Not sure how this could be easily addressed. I tried using a blur filter but this added too much of a reverb like effect.

Interesting experiments, but none of them work. The ideal would be solo string samples like in the lamentably short-lived Garritan solo Violin and Cello Libraries which gave the user control to seamlessly crossfade between non-vibrato samples with vibrato samples. In GPO, the instruments with vibrato control through artificial vibrato controlled by AfterTouch are simpler in their programmed approach, but are preferable to these solo string samples that have vibrato recorded in the sample audio files, and which can't be controlled in the same way. If only that same method would have been used for these solo strings - but - there it is.

Randy

Go Back to forum