• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound Spectral and Seismic Frequencies

Share/Bookmark

Sound Spectral and Seismic Frequencies

Whats the deal with these sample cds? i really want to know what experiences people have had with them
    One example: I hear sweep sounds from Bill Brown (and other guys too) and I have no idea where they get it. I hear other DReality type effects from other composers and I have no idea where they get them either... are these cds the other widely used sample effects cds ive been looking for?

Also, whats the sound at the beginning of Bill Browns Scorcher Main Titles? I know he uses custom samples but I heard the exact same sound from Mark Snow on a score to an x-files episode!

Ed

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Sound Spectral and Seismic Frequencies

Originally posted by Ed:

One example: I hear sweep sounds from Bill Brown (and other guys too) and I have no idea where they get it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think a lot of people struggle with this.

Those kinds of sounds are very easily made with synthesizers. Personally, I almost completely shy away from \"sampled synths\" because they don\'t give me the design flexibility I\'m seeking. An exception would be hybrids like Eric Persing\'s Atmosphere.

But I would urge people to explore synthesis as a creative tool. I mentioned Reaktor as one of my favorites some time back, and interestingly, Eric made the comment that some people don\'t have the time and expertise to get into that level of synthesis.

That surprised me.

My take on it is a little different. There are many participants here that have deep knowledge of certain aspects of electronic musicmaking, while they have almost no knowledge of others. I think it\'s a somewhat logical backlash of our time, when we have technology that would have been unimaginable even ten years ago. Are we raising up a generation of near \"idiot savant\" studio musicians--people who are so accustomed to having a sound handed to them on a shiny disc that they have literally no clue how to produce that sound on their own?

No direct reflection of you, Ed, or of any particular person. But a question to be asked.

I don\'t think Eric would deny that he and several other \"old school\" synthesists have built a cottage industry supplying sounds to people who have no idea how to actually use synthesizers. And while I think there\'s absolutlely nothing wrong with that, I think it also harkens to the old cliche, \"Give a man a fish, he\'ll eat for a day--teach a man to fish, he\'ll eat for a lifetime.\"

I\'d strongly suggest getting into some of the great synth applications like Reaktor, and learning to go nuts on those things. Yes, the investment may involve a bit of your time as well as your money, but the rewards will be so great you\'ll thank yourself time and time again.

Maybe one day someone will be saying, \"I hear all those wild sweeps in Ed\'s music--wonder where he gets those?\"

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Maybe one day someone will be saying, \"I hear all those wild sweeps in Ed\'s music--wonder where he gets those?\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haha, that would be cool. I agree with you all the way except I am a slow learner and I dont have time at the moment to learn programs like Reason. I played around with it on a friends computer and I couldn\'t understand it at all.

Having said that I do want to learn eventually because I do realise how useful it can be.

This \"sweep\" effect thing is really bothering me so I\'m going to find a recording with it and let you hear exactly what I\'m talking about. I mean its the exact same sound I hear from lots of different composers so it has to come from a sample cd, surely?

Does this mean you, and everyone else have never heard Sound Spectral or Seismic Frequencies?

Ed

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

[quote]Originally posted by Ed:
    This \"sweep\" effect thing is really bothering me so I\'m going to find a recording with it and let you hear exactly what I\'m talking about. I mean its the exact same sound I hear from lots of different composers so it has to come from a sample cd, surely?

Does this mean you, and everyone else have never heard Sound Spectral or Seismic Frequencies?

Ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, sorry, should have made that clear. I don\'t have any experience with either of those libraries.

If you post a link to an example, I will try to tell you how the effect is made.

What\'s traditionally called a sweep or filter sweep is usually a tight EQ notch which is being modulated to move across the frequency spectrum. You can set these up in most DAW applications using a parametric EQ and automating the frequency setting to move at the desired speed and direction.

Another method that will get you a more radical sweep would be to reverse that first step and use a narrow, extreme boost, and modulate that. Put a brickwall limiter on the back side, and you\'ll get more of a resonant filter effect, where the boosted frequency will saturate the limiter and have the effect of pushing the other frequencies down and under.

There are plugins available that combine these things into a single step, but the bottom line is that most DAW software comes with enough FX and automation to pull off these types of sounds...then you can render the result to an audio file and throw it back into a fresh file and go from there.

You might want to cruise your local music store for basic books on synthesis and FX programming. It\'s one of those things that seems very overwhelming at first, but as you begin to pick up on a few tricks, you\'ll have one of those \"moments of clarity\" where you realize that it\'s mostly the same stuff, just repeated and combined in different ways. Much like looking at a mixing desk for the first time, and thinking \"Oh my god, there\'s 1000 knobs here\"...but then realizing it\'s just the same ten knobs, over and over again.

Go Back to forum