• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bill Brown Scorcher brass

Share/Bookmark

Bill Brown Scorcher brass

Finally got to see Scorcher on HBO,
    I wanted to hear Bill Brown\'s score on my home theater. Sounded great, but what I did notice was that the brass especially the trombone was lame. That fat trombone sound just wasn\'t there the way he wrote it to be there,(know what I mean!). I\'m not sure what samples he used. I thought it might be DDBE. Well for what it\'s worth, I thought others my want to hear it on their theater system to know how the samples come across to the public. The strings sounded awesome, very real, GOS I believe he was using.

PS. I have a very good surround sound system home theater,(although it was not in surround).

No offense to DD, just my observation of the score.

Re: Bill Brown Scorcher brass

Originally posted by birdwizard:
    [QB]I\'m not sure what samples he used. I thought it might be DDBE.
    QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don´t think it was DDBE since it wasn´t released when Bill made that score.

Originally posted by birdwizard:
    The strings sounded awesome, very real, GOS I believe he was using.
    QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually they were mostly Miroslav... EDIT: the slow parts, I mean... You can hear the same ensemble at the USF vanguard end credits.

I think it´s a pretty nice score also, and definitely sounds great with a surround sound [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Uhhh, dudes. Bill often uses live musicians, and if it was an HBO thing, then he probably WAS using mostly live. He also has a collection of his own samples.
    It does look like Bill is now a happy user of SAMs horns, which *ahem* I turned him on to, thank me very much. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Doyle,

Since I could not give you a five-star rating, I have added you to my buddy list [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I recognise the strings he used to be the strings he always seems to use from previous, and much older, scores. I don\'t think they are GOS. From what I hear they sound like Roland strings. Even if they are not Roland, I\'m pretty sure... pretty damn sure they aren\'t GOS. I thought he only started using GOS for SOAF, right?. Can some tell for sure.

I was always envious of his brass. I don\'t know what sound you were hearing out of you speaker system but I know I still like it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Also, like someone else pointed out, DDBE wasn\'t out at the time. It sounds like a combination of Roland Brass and QL Brass.

Can anyone tell me when someone is going to release some good orchestral effects like the ones Bill Brown uses? Just listen to Scorchers main title, or the Volcano Rescue track. very good, and I want em!! They add such a nice extra bit of colour.

btw, the Marcato string sound is from Prosonus. I library I am now a pround owner of. I think it was Mr Donehoo that introduced it to me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Personally I think that Marcato string sound, the Pizz string sec, and the other effects are worth the price of the whole lib, but that\'s just my opinion.

Ed

For those who missed it, here is the link to our very own forum interview with Bill Brown:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000266#000000

The Prosonus marcato is nice, no doubt. Some very useful stuff in that lib.
    I would bet money Bill has Roland Brass and QL Brass: for sure he uses QL Brass (and now SAMS Horns).
    \"I thought he only started using GOS for SOAF, right?.\"
    I believe that is true: maybe SOAF was the first recording where it was used extensively. Anyway, check out the interview...

Actually I had read the interview when I read it on Bills news page. But I will read it again. he gives some good tips/advice in his interviews!

Ed

\"Originally posted by Paulh:
    Actually they were mostly Miroslav... EDIT: the slow parts, I mean... You can hear the same ensemble at the USF vanguard end credits.\"

WHAT!!!?? I dont own Miroslav, but I haven\'t heard any Miroslav in any of Bills scores. I mean why would he use Roland all the time if he has Miroslav??

Ed

\"I also still use a lot of the Roland samples for orchestral stuff as well, as well as the Siedlaczek library for some brass \" -BB interview

Thanks for that link again DWdoneHoo-

Go Back to forum