• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Another Bill Brown question: Ghost Recon: Island Thunder and Metamorphosis

Share/Bookmark

Another Bill Brown question: Ghost Recon: Island Thunder and Metamorphosis

Honestly thought that when I bought Metamorphosis that grooves like that one Bill used on the track \"Rapid Python\" (download here) would be included. It sounds like it should be on it... only its not. Ive heard Trevor Rabin and Harry Gregson Williams among othere using these kind of loops, so where does it come from! or am I just being dumb...

Dont get me wrong though I love Metamorphosis, but I thought that it would have this loop.

Ed

Re: Another Bill Brown question: Ghost Recon: Island Thunder and Metamorphosis

Well that sounds like a mix of a few things

Atleast one loop from Distorted Reality 2 with some retriggering/chopped parts (mostly it seems that its a 4/4 loop triggered in 3/4 time)

Possibly the little \"tabla\" sounding thing from another PART of a DR2 loop, maybe a double/triple time loop

As well as some multisamples (the shaker stuff seems it)

Yeah I\'d have to agree. I hear moslty hear MIDI-triggered orchestral multi-sampled percussion with one filtered, processed loop mixed in the background. There are some things like that on DRII, but you could just as easily throw something together like that using Recycle and some panning/autofilter type plug-ins.

BTW--just to give credit where credit is due--I use that technique myself, and discovered it first by listening to Bill Brown\'s .mp3 cues, as well as some soundtracks from Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams that I have. I love the way all 3 of these guys integrate electronic sounds with orchestral.

Originally posted by Ed:
    Honestly thought that when I bought Metamorphosis that grooves like that one Bill used on the track \"Rapid Python\" (download here) would be included. It sounds like it should be on it... only its not. Ive heard Trevor Rabin and Harry Gregson Williams among othere using these kind of loops, so where does it come from! or am I just being dumb...

Dont get me wrong though I love Metamorphosis, but I thought that it would have this loop.

Ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Got a feeling that the MV guys got some really good tweakers inhouse. I tryed to do a couple of loops in that style. Started with 3 original loops i sampled from some old dusty vinyls.

01. tweaked the loops.
    02. imported into recycle and made rex and midi files.
    03. importet rex into halion and programmed a patch with veloicity filters. Imported the midi into cubase. Messed around with the midi.
    04. exported the mix and tweaked with it in soundforge.

Check out the result here:

http://62.13.11.115/tweakedloops/

/Tobias

Tob

Your stuff sounds great, really. Would you mind being even more specific about how you accomplished this?? Could you post the original loops as a point of reference? What plugs did you use in Cubase, Recycle etc. I would absolutely love to be able to produce DR 2 style loops that are original. Thanks for the info Tob.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I commented on this in another thread, but...

Guys, you need to lose that idea of buying loop libraries to do your electronic percussion parts. Just get some drum machine software, and some soft synths, and ROLL YOUR OWN!!!

There are enough automatable effects bundled with any of the mainstream DAW applications to do this kind of work, and to give yourself a completely unique and original sound, rather than paying out good money for someone else\'s little percussion jams. You can, and should, learn to do this yourselves. It will make you better composers and producers.

No offense to Eric or any of the other fine producers who make sampled products like these. But the word \"helpless\" comes to mind again--I just get the impression that people have no idea where to start creating their own personal sounds. Even with a product like Metamorphosis, you can (and should) get away from the \"programmed\" loops, and strive to use the GrooveControl, etc., tools to recombine the elements into something that is personal and truly \"yours.\"

Otherwise, you\'ll just have people saying \"Yep, he used loop #442 from yada yada collection\" about YOUR music, instead of people saying, \"I wonder how he did that.\"

Originally posted by scores4film:
    Tob

Your stuff sounds great, really. Would you mind being even more specific about how you accomplished this?? Could you post the original loops as a point of reference? What plugs did you use in Cubase, Recycle etc. I would absolutely love to be able to produce DR 2 style loops that are original. Thanks for the info Tob.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">For these loops i used Beatmodel, Waves and delaydots for processing. If you check the folders in that url you\'ll find original loops, tweaked, recycled loops and midi

http://62.13.11.115/tweakedloops/

/Tobias

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:

Guys, you need to lose that idea of buying loop libraries to do your electronic percussion parts. Just get some drum machine software, and some soft synths, and ROLL YOUR OWN!!!

There are enough automatable effects bundled with any of the mainstream DAW applications to do this kind of work, and to give yourself a completely unique and original sound, rather than paying out good money for someone else\'s little percussion jams. You can, and should, learn to do this yourselves. It will make you better composers and producers.

No offense to Eric or any of the other fine producers who make sampled products like these. But the word \"helpless\" comes to mind again--I just get the impression that people have no idea where to start creating their own personal sounds. Even with a product like Metamorphosis, you can (and should) get away from the \"programmed\" loops, and strive to use the GrooveControl, etc., tools to recombine the elements into something that is personal and truly \"yours.\"

Otherwise, you\'ll just have people saying \"Yep, he used loop #442 from yada yada collection\" about YOUR music, instead of people saying, \"I wonder how he did that.\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Good point Bruce....
    The whole point of electronic intresting experimental stuff is about....here\'s the shocker!...experimenting and making interesting sounds grooves...

Alex

Originally posted by lex:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Good point Bruce....
    The whole point of electronic intresting experimental stuff is about....here\'s the shocker!...experimenting and making interesting sounds grooves...

Alex
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">yeah, both fun and interesting.... and time comsuming Busy composers dont always have time for that even if they want too.

Go Back to forum