• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Largo (from the Flute Sonata in D Major- by Karl Heinrich Graun 1704-1759)

Share/Bookmark

Largo (from the Flute Sonata in D Major- by Karl Heinrich Graun 1704-1759)

Here is a little New Year gift, given to us by K.H. Graun. His work is rather unknown, but very interesting.

The original score only contained the flute part and a figured bass.

Flute is the beloved Garritan solo flute (KS). Cello and harpsichord are VSL.

Please sit back and enjoy! Happy and healthy New Year!

Max

Largo

Re: Largo (from the Flute Sonata in D Major- by Karl Heinrich Graun 1704-1759)

Thank you, this is great music and very well recorded.

Raymond

Max, this is a very nice theme. I like it. The flute sounds good to me. A little more activity in the Cello would be more pleasing to me. I really did not hear the harpsichord at all. It could be my cheap sound system. I enjoyed Graun's music and your rendition of it. Thanks. Jay.

Bravo Max.
    Graun's music is really enjoyable as your performance is.
    And Garritan's flute shines here.
    The harpsichord is actually almost inaudible,
    but I know you are constituted authority
    in the field of Good Continuo Setting, so I will not
    complain about it. I see (barely, I must admit) it is from VSL,
    but GPOs one is also a good sounding one.

Happy New Year to you and to Jos too
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Max, this is a very nice theme. I like it. The flute sounds good to me. A little more activity in the Cello would be more pleasing to me. I really did not hear the harpsichord at all. It could be my cheap sound system. I enjoyed Graun's music and your rendition of it. Thanks. Jay.
    Hi Jay,

Thanks for the listen. I can't alter the cello part, it's the fundament of the continuo, written by the composer. It is what it is, in fact, just a doubling of the harpsichord part (written as figured bass). In that kind of music, the bass is sacred and is the harmonic and rhythmic base for the whole construction. You should see it is a present-day guitar player accompanying a singer in chords. The harpsichord is just playing accompaniment in harmonic chords. No counter point or second voice...

Happy New Year!

Max

Max! I certainly could be wrong, but I thought that 'basso continuo' could have an improvisatory aspect to it which would allow for more motion, for example, in the cello. That is what I was thinking of. Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Max! I certainly could be wrong, but I thought that 'basso continuo' could have an improvisatory aspect to it which would allow for more motion, for example, in the cello. That is what I was thinking of. Jay.
    Hi Jay,

Of course, everything is possible, but the fundament is obligato (otherwise, it would be a mess with the harpsichord if the cello player would start his own harmony). The harpsichord player has some freedom to build his own series of chords and rhythm, as long as he applies the rules of classical harmony (at that time, we're talking about the early 18th century here) and the building up chords according to the position of the fundament (5, 6, 4/6, 7, 9, 4....). It was not my intention to change that fundament. The harpsichord didn't exist, so that's my work, but almost reduced to the absolute minimum (except a few spots where it follows the flute).

Max

Max, beautiful. Confess, I never met Her Graun, so, hearing this piece, I would have guessed Vivaldi, admittedly Her Graun had more variation in his mind than Father Vivaldi would have had (many times).
    Your flute-playing is flawless and I enjoyed this very much.
    Thanks and Happy New Year.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Max, beautiful. Confess, I never met Her Graun, so, hearing this piece, I would have guessed Vivaldi, admittedly Her Graun had more variation in his mind than Father Vivaldi would have had (many times).
    Your flute-playing is flawless and I enjoyed this very much.
    Thanks and Happy New Year.

Ted
    Thanks, Ted and I'm sure Herr Graun would have appreciated you listening to his music as well. He had to stand in the great contemporaries' shadow constantly...

Happy and healthy New year to you too,

Max

Max,

You always have such a gorgeous sound to your renderings as is the case here. It is always a pleasure to sit back and listen to your endeavors. I wasn't familiar with the piece or composer for that fact. Thanks of enlightening me.

And for the record, I think your continuo was in perfect balance, with each other (cello, harpsichord) and with the flute.
    At least on my headphones I could hear the harpsichord coming through well.

Excellent rendering Max!!

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast