• Register
  • Help

Topic: Applying EQ to .gigs - Help!

Share/Bookmark

Applying EQ to .gigs - Help!

Hi all

I wish to apply specific eq to Michiel\'s Bosendorfer but cannot afford a dedicated outboard eq unit. I wondered about exporting the samples, adding eq in a wave editor and then importing them back in. Has anyone here done anything similar and if so, do you have any tips? To get the correct eq setting, I was going to record a short (30s) wav using the capture funtction in GS, load it into the wave editor and experiment with eq there. Can I then apply that eq setting to the individual notes? Or do you need to apply eq differently to individual notes? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Applying EQ to .gigs - Help!

Originally posted by sjduck:
    Hi all

I wish to apply specific eq to Michiel\'s Bosendorfer but cannot afford a dedicated outboard eq unit. I wondered about exporting the samples, adding eq in a wave editor and then importing them back in. Has anyone here done anything similar and if so, do you have any tips? To get the correct eq setting, I was going to record a short (30s) wav using the capture funtction in GS, load it into the wave editor and experiment with eq there. Can I then apply that eq setting to the individual notes? Or do you need to apply eq differently to individual notes? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If the library is not \"protected\" via the Giga-compression compiler (or a future copy-protection scheme), you could get your EQ established with your test track, then export all the waveforms from the GigaEditor, export an .art file, then EQ the individual waves with a batch processor, import them into a new instrument, apply the .art file, and all should be well and totally automatic.

The forces at TASCAM, however, are trying to guarantee that you don\'t have the freedom to do this, under the guise of copy protection. Much bile has been spilled already on the subject--but this is, and always has been, my chief objection to the schemes that have been aired, that users will lose the very significant functionality of editing the baseline waveforms to their liking.

In this case, though, I wonder why you don\'t just print your track and EQ it in the final mix. Doesn\'t seem like this situation would call for a full-instrument edit.

Of course, if GigaStudio were shipped with something even remotely resembling a decent EQ, perhaps we wouldn\'t be having this discussion. The GFX EQ gives EQ a bad name!!

Go Back to forum