• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone fool around with a Neko at NAMM?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Anyone fool around with a Neko at NAMM?

I couldn\'t heard it in live but what I know is that you can load any VST, VSTi in it so probably only runs Kontakt and Halion but I have that question too.

works pretty well...they basically run Windows XP and a custom VST host with a touch screen monitor.

Conceptually cool, the keyboard version was a little large for me and the buttons/knobs look a little old fashioned (like the original Star Trek)

It runs Giga, too. Or Microsoft Word, I guess--it\'s basically just a WinXP computer integrated into a keyboard. Just thought someone might have tried it out and had an impression. I still like the idea, unless the keyboard is too synthy.

Anyone fool around with a Neko at NAMM?

I mean the OpenLabs keyboard\\computer thing that lets you load Giga and Kontakt and all the rest.

They\'re supposed to ship in Feb, and were going to be at NAMM, but I haven\'t seen anybody making noise about them for better or worse.

Yes but remember that some audio cards doesn\'t support GSIF like Steinberg ones

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I hear it won the Winter NAMM \"Solution In Search of a Problem\" award. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

True, it doesn\'t add anything. Just a case of curiosity about a new toy, I guess. I wonder if they\'ll be mass distributed, though, and sitting next to Motifs and RD-700\'s at Guitar Center. If so, whatever sampler they include, assuming they include a softsampler on the hard drive, will suddenly be getting demoed a lot. (I wonder if Giga would be still more popular right now if Tascam had set up some kind of listening booths in a few Guitar Centers. Hard to set up, maybe.)

I saw some mention of demos to be out in stores for Giga 3--was this rib-nudging humor, or are there plans to do this? I hope so, if they have a lot of the libraries on a huge hard disk or two, so we could listen to them. It\'s one thing to hear mp3\'s, something altogether different to be able to sit down and play and compare instruments. At the very least, Tascam might organize the kinds of tours that Yamaha, Roland, and everyone else does, with presenters cycling through music stores and letting people hear what their latest product can do. Expensive, I guess, but I would think that they might work out an arrangement with the stores, the developers of the libraries, and the soundcard makers so everyone could share the costs. (I have no idea why I\'m suddenly interested in marketing strategies for Giga...)

Or maybe Tascam does do this? I\'ve never seen it advertised, but a lot things still don\'t reach Atlanta.

Go Back to forum