• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach"s Badinerie, version II

Share/Bookmark

Bach"s Badinerie, version II

Dear friends,

As promised, here is the second version of Bach's Badinerie. It's not only a brilliant little piece of music, it's has at the same time been a wonderful case study for using Logic Pro X for me. This is a superb tool, but quite complicated for a non DAW-user like myself.

This version contains:
    • Notes in Notion 4 (+ note lengths, expressions, tempo changes)
    • Garritan flute (notation version for Notion)
    • Chamber strings (1st and 2d violins, violas, cellos, 1 d.bass) of VSL SE
    • Cembalo VSL SE
    • Logic Pro X with channel EQ, stereo spreader, limiter, multipressure (compressor that acts differently to different frequencies)
    • Vienna MIR Pro (roompack Teldec Recording Studio, wide)
    • Vienna MIRacle (Chamber orchestra enhance, density 25%, wet reverb -12.5 dB, dry 0.0 dB)
    • Logic Pro normalising on mp3-output.

So, that's about it. There's a distinct difference with the first recording. Please compare.

Enjoy this one!

Max

Badinerie, version II

Re: Bach"s Badinerie, version II

That was beautiful, pristine, and crisp! I have yet to even try the Vienna Chamber Strings (been deep in love with the appassinata strings for the last few weeks lol), but these sounded great with that Garritan flute. I am going to have to give those chamber strings a try.

Thanks for the great share Max,

Richard

Thanks, Randy and Richard.

This was a course in using Notation (first Finale, then Notion) with a DAW. That combination was all new to me and unknown. I had read a lot about it in this wonderful forum and heard incredibly beautiful renditions of pieces of all kinds. So I jumped into this unfamiliar world and tried to improve the notation performance results. It was with trial and error! And still, there is an awful lot to learn. But by this exercise I've learnt that it's never too late to start something new...

And indeed, the chamber strings can be beautiful, but the sus strings are a bit slow in the attack. They often limb behind. And the Garritan flute is in its price range unbeatable (and so easy to use!).

Max

Thumbs up Re: Bach"s Badinerie, version II

Hi Max/Jos

great phrasing, the flute is almost perfect (I totally agree it is a gem in the overall good Garritan woodwinds, I also still use it because it sounds good and it's so easy to program).
    I really love the way you realized the diminutions, and every single accent is so perfectly sculpted, great job!

Only because you were training yourself in production, and not at all for criticism, I add a few notes from my very personal point of view:
    I just find the Harpsichord a bit too loud, I love hearing it on the background usually: it is definitely a matter of taste, but in the balance with the very wet and shy strings I think it should stay a bit backward.
    A last productiion note, maybe the ambience of the flute is also a bit too different form the Strings: I would make them close with a very little bit more wet flute and more dry strings.

Anyway, congratulations, we will perhaps spend more time talking about MIR, it's an intersting matter.

All the best
    F.

Cool Re: Bach"s Badinerie, version II

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Hi Max/Jos

great phrasing, the flute is almost perfect (I totally agree it is a gem in the overall good Garritan woodwinds, I also still use it because it sounds good and it's so easy to program).
    I really love the way you realized the diminutions, and every single accent is so perfectly sculpted, great job!

Only because you were training yourself in production, and not at all for criticism, I add a few notes from my very personal point of view:
    I just find the Harpsichord a bit too loud, I love hearing it on the background usually: it is definitely a matter of taste, but in the balance with the very wet and shy strings I think it should stay a bit backward.
    A last productiion note, maybe the ambience of the flute is also a bit too different form the Strings: I would make them close with a very little bit more wet flute and more dry strings.

Anyway, congratulations, we will perhaps spend more time talking about MIR, it's an intersting matter.

All the best
    F.
    Hi Fabio,

MIR is indeed a great tool, but you have to choose very carefully the right environment for your music. You could play a Mahler symphony in your Volkwagen Beetle and giving all the musicians a seat... I prefer the open spaces (large halls without distinct reverberation and certainly not the long reverb tails. On the other hand, some instruments require a well determined ambience to sound good. So nothing is obvious. It's not pick and play. It demands a lot of testing and a trained ear to make the best of it. But the Impuls Responses are very good, pretty realistic.

However this is another topic, more something for the general discussion.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you and your family.

Max/jos

Very sweet recording of this -- excellent rendering. Very well done!

Might I suggest you also edit in a link in your initial post to the first version so we may more easily compare?

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum