• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GSIF 2.0 soundcard developers?

Share/Bookmark

GSIF 2.0 soundcard developers?

I know it\'s early days yet but is there a list (or mention) of any soundcard manufacturers that are developing GSIF 2 drivers?

Ben H

Re: GSIF 2.0 soundcard developers?

Hmm maybe it\'s compatible with GSIF 1 drivers... I hope so.

It is compatible with GSIF 1, but in order to use the new MIDI rules/tools your card needs to be compatible with the GSIF 2 spec.

Ben H

Ahh glad it works with current drivers. If not, owners of Creamware cards would quite possibly never be able to use GS3

Originally posted by Ben H:
    It is compatible with GSIF 1, but in order to use the new MIDI rules/tools your card needs to be compatible with the GSIF 2 spec.

Ben H
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'d be willing to bet that GSIF 2.0 is also required for the audio input features.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Ben H:

Ben H
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmmm, really? Where did this info come from? That sounds slightly suspect to me.

For sure, you\'d need GSIF-2 to use any of the audio-in features, since that simply doesn\'t exist in GSIF-1. I\'ll ask about the MIDI stuff.

Echo is on board for sure. Already done. When I was speaking with Matt about the Mia problem I asked him about this. It will be supported on all the 24-bit cards, and the Layla 20.

> \"Echo is on board for sure. Already done. When I was speaking with Matt about the Mia problem I asked him about this. It will be supported on all the 24-bit cards, and the Layla 20.\"

Excellent!

Regarding MIDI, that may be in the GSIF 2.0 spec too. Recall that they now have Kernel-level MIDI. My guess is that GSIF 2.0 specs how your driver will make MIDI available at the kernel-level in addition to the typical app-level/registry MIDI interface.

It would seem that for a non-GSIF-2.0 MIDI interface, Giga could access it in the standard way and then bring it down to the Giga-kernel. Then it could run through the new MIDI trick pony. It would have longer latency than GSIF 2.0, but the functions *should* still be available.

It\'s certainly a good line of questioning for our friends at Tascam/Nemesys.

Good news from Echo though!

It will be supported on all the 24-bit cards, and the Layla 20.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Does that mean the Gina20 is out? Man, I\'ll have to swap that card out then.
    O.

This is the kind of information that we should use when buying a new card.
    It is to much of a trend to buy a product,have it discontinued a year later, then have problems getting it to work with latest software because no driver support.

Which companies will support with updates their discontinued cards.
    One of my cards is a Darla 24 and it looks like they will be supporting that with GSIF.2
    I also have a Maudio RPC1 card that was discountinued.
    Which ever company doesnt support this will loose my future business.
    These companies won\'t change until it starts effecting their pocketbooks.
    It looks like Echo is one of the good guys.

Hi ppl

You can put rme on your list too

Does RME cards have GSIF 2.0 or will they get it?

Yes, soon.

Please note that GSIF 2\'s biggest point is the new record stream. No
    change for playback, so no change for the majority of users.

Regards
    Matthias Carstens
    RME
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Go Back to forum