• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Need recommendation for mics+sound card for orch.instr.recording

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Need recommendation for mics+sound card for orch.instr.recording

One word--RENTALS

You don\'t want to go to the trouble of booking a space, getting players, then skimp on the recording gear.

Need recommendation for mics+sound card for orch.instr.recording

I\'m about to start recording orchestral instruments, but I need some advice on afforable recording system (mics+sound card), which wouldn\'t degrade sound quality but with as afforable price as possible. I mean something better than SB Live with $20 mics - but as cheap as possible for pro-quality sound (if properly recorded, placed etc., of course) for 44kHz, 16 bits which are absolutely enough, I don\'t see any need for higher parameters. So I would very appreciate concrete hardware suggestions - which mics + which sound card or so - are the cheapest solution for quality recording of big string sections in a big concert hall and similar instruments in 44kHz,16 bits, for the quality would be enough and not degraded thanks to low-quality recording devices - too low freqency response mics, too hissy sound card etc. Thanks.

Hi Dis,

So let me see if I\'ve got this straight you want good sound, reliable and inexpensive. Pick two, because you can\'t have all three.

For mics I\'ve heard the AKG C426 (stereo) and it sound excellent, but it isn\'t cheap. I\'ve heard good things about the Studio Projects C1 and C3, they are cheap (generally $199 and $349). But they have limited flexibility and were designed to sound like Neumanns (in other words great for recording vocals). They might be pretty good for orchestral instruments or they may be inappropriate.

For mic preamps and D/A converters you pretty much get what you pay for. A lot of folks like the RME (www.rme-audio.de) products and they\'re certainly less expensive than Apogee. For a place to buy them I can suggest Bayview Pro Audio (www.bayviewproaudio.com), they\'re not necessarily the cheapest, but they\'ve got a good line up and know their audio stuff.

Anybody else got suggestions?

Steve Chandler

Thanks, Steve! Now I allready know which mics I will use.

Bruce: Actually, I don\'t have a problem with getting players and space. Only low resources for tech equipment are the main problem.

Do I really need pre-amp? What would happened if I connect pair or mics directly to stereo input of a sound card and then record waws?

Originally posted by Dis:
    Thanks, Steve! Now I allready know which mics I will use.

Bruce: Actually, I don\'t have a problem with getting players and space. Only low resources for tech equipment are the main problem.

Do I really need pre-amp? What would happened if I connect pair or mics directly to stereo input of a sound card and then record waws?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That wont work.. Trust me, it will sound like ****.. Litterally [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nagash: Understand [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . And do you think THIS PRE-AMP would be enough for this?

Simon: Beacuse it\'s very problematic to rent for example good mic and pre-amp here. Of course I can, but then I\'d have to record instruments in the studio where I\'ve rent it. But I\'ll record the instruments in various bigger concert halls where such renting is very problematic or very expensive. I\'m a student and my resources are very limited - though I don\'t have a problem with spaces and players - I must skimp on the recording gear, unfortunately. Are you really sure that that 65 Euro cheap pre-amp will be doing something wrong or degrade sound?

Dis: cough.. no... a 65 euro 2-mic pre-amp?? Why not rent a Focusrite or JoeMeek or something good.

Please, could cheap pre-amp degrade sound quality when recording with medium quality mics? It\'s very important for me to know.
    Also could you, please, recommend some decent sound card to which connect mics+pre-amp to?

Dis, of course the sound quality will be better with an expensive pre-amp. These things are not solely made for the heck of it) I don\'t have much recording experience, but IF I had the opportunity to record parts of an orchestra for free or cheaply, I can assure you that I wouldnt skimp on the pre-amp.

Go Back to forum