• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Difference

Share/Bookmark

Difference

What is the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist?

A rock guitarist plays four chords for thousands
    and a jazz guitarist just the opposite.

Have a fine weekend, folks.

Raymond

Re: Difference

........lol :d

Q: What's the definition of a gentlemen?

A: Someone who knows how to play the trombone -- but doesn't.

Hi Guys ...

Raymond, that was great! (and as an ex-guitarist, SOOOOO true!)

David, this one had me rolling! Had never heard that one before ... will save it for future conversations with trombonists who get out of hand!

(I wonder if Snorlax has seen your joke ... and vicariously suffered this indignation! (Euph being a pretty close cousin) )

Frank

Talking Re: Difference

Mine is a real story...
    my professor was lecturing about avant-garde music, and told to the silent and interested audience of students:
    "... often uneducated people mention that listening to contemporary music is like listening to an unorganized sequence of noises... " then looking to the students asked:

"Who wants to tell me what's the real difference between modern avant-gard music and a random sequence of noises?"

in the following frozen silence an anonimous whisper was clearly perceivable... "NONE!"

When I was still a music teacher, I asked my students the same question. I got a variety of answers, but this one was kept in my mind: " Contemporary music is written for the joy of the performers and to keep the audience away. Those who pretend to understand what is going on, are utter snobs or disturbed brains. It's just a heap of organised nonsense sounds, produced by instruments played in a way they normally shouldn't and for which they were never designed." And he added: "I'm a clarinet player, and in music academy class, I had to play such a score in a way forbidden when I started the clarinet. Instead of building up a nice sonority on my instrument, I should make it sound as ugly as possible..."

This comment is not meant to offend likers of the genre, it's just an attempt to explain why contemporary music is still considered 'extravagant'.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    " Contemporary music is written for the joy of the performers and to keep the audience away. Those who pretend to understand what is going on, are utter snobs or disturbed brains.
    It's just a heap of organised nonsense sounds, produced by instruments played in a way they normally shouldn't and for which they were never designed.
    I'm a clarinet player, and in music academy class, I had to play such a score in a way forbidden when I started the clarinet. Instead of building up a nice sonority on my instrument, I should make it sound as ugly as possible..."
    You grew up very clever pupils, Max.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Cool Re: Difference

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post

"Who wants to tell me what's the real difference between modern avant-gard music and a random sequence of noises?"
    10 years of composition training
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    10 years of composition training
    Some noises are quite attractive. The noise of .... can't tell you, really, I don't know. But this noise.. you know, it does something to me, seriously, this tickless my soul, don't ask me why and with what, there is something that... you know?

Yes, I know. You are a fool.

Not you, Pingu, but all those snobs......

Raymond

Go Back to forum