• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EPIPHANY - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark

Arrow EPIPHANY - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

EPIPHANY
    For Symphony Orchestra
    By David Sosnowski

To listen:
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

A brief sketch for the season... Merry Christmas, All!

Best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Edit: 01.12.2014
    I've re-recorded this, per my note later in the thread.

Re: EPIPHANY - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Hi David,
    nice to meet you again in the cyberspace! Such a nice sound has this piece! It depicts a wonder... a bright epiphany of something awesome... inspiring.

thanks for sharing it!
    all the best
    F.

It’s been many years since I’ve heard the word “awesome” used correctly! Thanks Fabio. This truly is awesome!

Okay! It is official. I need not desire any more Christmas presents this year because I just received mine. I’m elated that you made an appearance David to brighten up all of our holiday festivities.

This piece has all the Sosnowski idioms that I have grown to love over the years plus an undefinable dusting of maturity which somehow transforms this into a mini masterpiece. It starts out almost “Copland-esk” in its awakening and then fully becomes Sosnowski once the eyes are wide open; those incredibly complex harmonies which sound so “right” and unobtrusive.

Your style of percussion writing is so unique to you David, that I could recognize a Sosnowski piece blinded folded….uh….ear folded…..well you know what I mean. Percussion that is so sparingly used, but used with such precision, at just the right moment to create an enormous impact upon the listener.

Another technique so masterfully used is the cross fading between instruments so that they seem to grow out of one another, creating a new instrument called the clari-nobohorn or the flutobonet. I’ve never heard another composer do this with such accomplished finesse as in your compositions.

Since I don't have the score I'm not sure if that was violin harmonics or just really, really, high/upper (beyond upper) range of violins drifting in two-thirds through the piece. At first I thought my tea kettle was going off!. Lol. It did create an unexpected surprise but very ingenious orchestration.... fantastic!

This piece is so seductive and it pulls you in; ultimately gratifying with integral conception of musical inspiration. Full of surprises with the unexpected but all the while satisfying our musical thirst for the “sublime listen”.

I have to admit that I’ve been drifting musically in recent months. The desire to write has just eluded me of late. But after listening to this creative sparkle, it has re-booted me to be“online” again. I think I’ve had an EPIPHANY!! Maybe I still have something to say. Thanks for yet.. a second gift this holiday season….and to think I wasn’t going to receive anything ! Off to dust off my computer.

Cass

Well,
    in these days we all worry about the future of this forum.
    The works of Maestro David Sosnowski were my first introduction
    to it and to GPO.
    To hear again from a master composer — submitting such a work to the Listening Room,
    is the perfect reply to our concerns.
    Thank you David.
    Merry Christmas.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

David! It has been awhile since you last posted. The sound and blend of the instruments on this is just terrific. The piece has a nice flow to it. Thanks for this new post. Jay

To state the obvious, your visits here are just too few and far between, David. Now with your sinuous, evocative and totally captivating Epiphany, you're reminding us vividly of how blessed we'd be if you came by more often. - Hope you stick around at least long enough to take a listen to some of your fellow Forum members.

Love the piece, David - Thank you much for posting - And happy holidays to you and yours.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Hi David,
    nice to meet you again in the cyberspace! Such a nice sound has this piece! It depicts a wonder... a bright epiphany of something awesome... inspiring.

thanks for sharing it!
    all the best
    F.
    Thank you for the kind thoughts, Fabio!

All the best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

That was pretty nice David. It actually kind of reminded me of Zelda III (Video Game). Thanks for the share, it felt pretty warm to me.

Regards,

Richard

Always a pleasure to listen to a new work from you David.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    It’s been many years since I’ve heard the word “awesome” used correctly! Thanks Fabio. This truly is awesome!
    Thank you, Cass -- though that's rather effusive for so humble an effort on my part!

Okay! It is official. I need not desire any more Christmas presents this year because I just received mine. I’m elated that you made an appearance David to brighten up all of our holiday festivities.
    How about a pair of socks, too, maybe? Least I could do...

This piece has all the Sosnowski idioms that I have grown to love over the years plus an undefinable dusting of maturity which somehow transforms this into a mini masterpiece. It starts out almost “Copland-esk” in its awakening and then fully becomes Sosnowski once the eyes are wide open; those incredibly complex harmonies which sound so “right” and unobtrusive.
    It's surprising how readily the ear will adopt "harmonies" that are otherwise considered dissonant -- provided one voices them well and creates a consistent language, throughout.

Your style of percussion writing is so unique to you David, that I could recognize a Sosnowski piece blinded folded….uh….ear folded…..well you know what I mean. Percussion that is so sparingly used, but used with such precision, at just the right moment to create an enormous impact upon the listener.
    Percussion writing like this always breaks my pencils... lol. I really have to sweat over that -- it's so very tempting to just let loose with it.

Another technique so masterfully used is the cross fading between instruments so that they seem to grow out of one another, creating a new instrument called the clari-nobohorn or the flutobonet. I’ve never heard another composer do this with such accomplished finesse as in your compositions.
    Thanks, Cass; but it's a very simple effect to do, really -- just hairpin the first guy out while you hairpin in the next guy.

Since I don't have the score I'm not sure if that was violin harmonics or just really, really, high/upper (beyond upper) range of violins drifting in two-thirds through the piece. At first I thought my tea kettle was going off!. Lol. It did create an unexpected surprise but very ingenious orchestration.... fantastic!
    Just very high violins, Cass. I'd rather have used harmonics; but they aren't available in this sound set.

This piece is so seductive and it pulls you in; ultimately gratifying with integral conception of musical inspiration. Full of surprises with the unexpected but all the while satisfying our musical thirst for the “sublime listen”.

I have to admit that I’ve been drifting musically in recent months. The desire to write has just eluded me of late. But after listening to this creative sparkle, it has re-booted me to be“online” again. I think I’ve had an EPIPHANY!! Maybe I still have something to say. Thanks for yet.. a second gift this holiday season….and to think I wasn’t going to receive anything ! Off to dust off my computer.

Cass
    With you as one of our most talented writers, Cass, I am deeply pleased if I have inspired you to get off your lazy butt and get back to work... rofl!

Merry Christmas, my friend.

All best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast