• Register
  • Help

Topic: Johnnybrook Nr 1

Share/Bookmark

Johnnybrook Nr 1

This is a capricious fantasy for organ on WTC, Fugue 2, BookII. I did it as a response to a comment about arrangements, which I don't like to do.

Johnnybrook Nr 1

The mp3 uses GPO. Length is about 6:45.

Richard

Re: Johnnybrook Nr 1

Hey Richard, I'd like to start out by saying... when I first pushed play on the file it scared the **** out of me!!! I had my speakers on loud and it just came in there fast LOL!!! I haven't listened to much organ based music before, but I like this. It reminds me of a couple of the Oprah tunes from Final Fantasy VI, so it kind of brings back some classic retro game music to me.

Thanks for scare and share

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Hey Richard, I'd like to start out by saying... when I first pushed play on the file it scared the **** out of me!!! I had my speakers on loud and it just came in there fast LOL!!! I haven't listened to much organ based music before, but I like this. It reminds me of a couple of the Oprah tunes from Final Fantasy VI, so it kind of brings back some classic retro game music to me.

Thanks for scare and share

Richard
    Well, Richard, I don't have a clue about Oprah tunes or final fantasy, but I am pleased that the piece got your attention!

Thanks for your comments.

Richard

LOL my bad... I meant Opera! LOL! Final Fantasy VI is an old Role Playing game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, Richard, I don't have a clue about Oprah tunes or final fantasy, but I am pleased that the piece got your attention!

Thanks for your comments.

Richard

Impressive work, Richard. I can hear a bit of influence from Bach's WTC Book 2, Fugue 2, mainly in the rhythm - both metric and harmonic. But you did put your own stamp on this, it has a widely different character and its own strength and coherence.

... what's the story behind this sentence of yours: "I did it as a response to a comment about arrangements, which I don't like to do". Were you just trying to prove a point to someone? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing.

Fabry

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Impressive work, Richard. I can hear a bit of influence from Bach's WTC Book 2, Fugue 2, mainly in the rhythm - both metric and harmonic. But you did put your own stamp on this, it has a widely different character and its own strength and coherence.

... what's the story behind this sentence of yours: "I did it as a response to a comment about arrangements, which I don't like to do". Were you just trying to prove a point to someone? Just curious...

Thanks for sharing.

Fabry

On another site, there was a discussion about slow sales of scores. I commented that the most successful in sales were arrangements, which I don't like to do. The response was why the aversion to arrangements by composers? Then I asked if he could imagine what I would do with (or to Bach or Mozart), and he said it might make good reading. I thought it would be more than that, so I sat down and produceced this. I am pleased that you thoght it was good, as I sure thought so.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    On another site, there was a discussion about slow sales of scores. I commented that the most successful in sales were arrangements, which I don't like to do. The response was why the aversion to arrangements by composers? Then I asked if he could imagine what I would do with (or to Bach or Mozart), and he said it might make good reading. I thought it would be more than that, so I sat down and produceced this. I am pleased that you thoght it was good, as I sure thought so.

Richard
    Oh, well... in my humble opinion, and as already mentioned, this is more than a simple "arrangement": it can stand on it own pretty solidly.

So I guess your discussion with the other guy about arrangements is definitely not over, yet.
    Is this true? That scores relevant to arrangements sell better? This doesn't sound so strange, actually.... people tend to play it "safe", they trust the "known path" much more than new discoveries...
    Interesting thoughts, anyway.

Fab

Go Back to forum