• Register
  • Help

Topic: Editing?

Share/Bookmark

Editing?

I read the ProRec.com article by Bruce Richardson (linked below) regarding getting the most out of orchestral sample libraries. I appreciate the notion that MIDI output is not proper finished material, but I don\'t see the difference between mixing the exported Giga .wavs in Logic with judicious use of appropriate plugins (stereo imaging, reverb, EQ, etc.) and \"editing\" in say, Sound Forge...

I don\'t understand what is implied by \"editing\" in that post-MIDI-editing sense, and how that can enhance the performance realism of each section/instrument. Could anyone please provide some specific examples of what extended audio editing methods are applied to improve the core performance?

Thanks,

Steve

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/33F4C27D2C76AB118625687B0022E9B9

\"GET THESE TRACKS INTO AN AUDIO EDITOR!!... The MIDI output, even after careful editing of your sequences, should be considered equivalent to rough, unmixed tracks. Remember, these are samples, and no matter how good your programming is, you\'ll need to do LOTS of editing to breathe life into the track...\"

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Editing?

Originally posted by stevefu:

I don\'t understand what is implied by \"editing\" in that post-MIDI-editing sense, and how that can enhance the performance realism of each section/instrument. Could anyone please provide some specific examples of what extended audio editing methods are applied to improve the core performance?

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mostly, getting another pass at volume and imaging. Since you have the waveforms there to work with in your audio mixing app, you can cool overly aggressive attacks (or add some volume to a wimpy attack), smooth out note to note leading, and otherwise polish the mix.

I wasn\'t referring specifically to a two-track editor like SoundForge, just to getting your rendered tracks into an audio environment for mixing, rather than attempting to mix projects entirely in the MIDI domain and spit them out of GigaStudio as \"finished.\"

Bruce, as always, nice article [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

passacaglia

\"Is there a specific reason why you use Vegas?\"
    Envelops. Plug-ins. Control. User friendly. Digital render. More....

Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    \"Is there a specific reason why you use Vegas?\"
    Envelops. Plug-ins. Control. User friendly. Digital render. More....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maybe... But is it that different from Cubase SX, Logic or Sonar? Is there something that you can do in Vegas you can\'t do in these programs?

In fact, I use SX for both the MIDI part and the audio part, but I have always been wondering if there were better solutions out there...

Martin

I should add that I like the fact of being able to use the same software in the MIDI world and in the audio world. That allows me to mix audio-ready parts with MIDI parts. I just mute the MIDI parts that were used to produce the audio. And sometimes, when I\'m not satisfied with the audio, I can go back to MIDI, edit a little, and render to audio again...

Martin

Thanks for clearing that up Bruce. Looking forward to future articles and reviews. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, you can do most everything in Sonar, but Vegas is just faster, cleaner and more logical. You can do things quickly that may take many more clicks of the mouse to do in Sonar. You can live without Vegas, but I am glad I do not have to.

Bruce, I\'ve always wondered... Is there a specific reason why you use Vegas? Why did you choose that product. I have to admit I don\'t know Vegas, but to me it seems like it is a little less known than any other major track editor.

Thanks,
    Martin

Go Back to forum