• Register
  • Help

Topic: How Do I maximize my efficiency?

Share/Bookmark

How Do I maximize my efficiency?

I have a fairly simple, yet dumb sounding question. Let\'s take for instance an electric guitar library...you could record the all the midi stuff using one sample (with no bends, slides, etc.) but it wouldn\'t sound realistic in the slightest. Instead, you find yourself having to use 10 different samples to make a guitar solo sound \"real\".....(for all the pick noises, hammer-ons, bends and what not)....Alot of work!
    You could apply this dilemma to many intricate sounding instruments. My question is, as a writer/composer, do you record the midi track as a whole first...and then go in note by note and stick in slides and trills and stuff?
    From what I\'ve seen of some libraries, alot of things are not centrally located.....so you end up having to use Gigastudio\'s instrument editor and bouncing back and forth between gig files to set up your keyboard before you ever get started with the song. Are libraries being designed more intelligently to maximize efficiency on a given instrument.
    I think my first instincts were right. this sounds like a dumb question.

Re: How Do I maximize my efficiency?

Originally posted by Travis Barnes:
    I have a fairly simple, yet dumb sounding question. Let\'s take for instance an electric guitar library...you could record the all the midi stuff using one sample (with no bends, slides, etc.) but it wouldn\'t sound realistic in the slightest. Instead, you find yourself having to use 10 different samples to make a guitar solo sound \"real\".....(for all the pick noises, hammer-ons, bends and what not)....Alot of work!
    You could apply this dilemma to many intricate sounding instruments. My question is, as a writer/composer, do you record the midi track as a whole first...and then go in note by note and stick in slides and trills and stuff?
    From what I\'ve seen of some libraries, alot of things are not centrally located.....so you end up having to use Gigastudio\'s instrument editor and bouncing back and forth between gig files to set up your keyboard before you ever get started with the song. Are libraries being designed more intelligently to maximize efficiency on a given instrument.
    I think my first instincts were right. this sounds like a dumb question.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Travis,
    Not a dumb question at all. Creating a convincing sound is an artform, and it is supposed to be a time consuming process. It´s one of the things we all have to take into consideration when we compose with samples. I try to get all the expression programmed while I´m composing, which means I load three guitar samples at the same time; the glissando, long note, and a thrill/noise/whatever (just an example), and won´t move on until it sounds right.

I almost hope we´ll never see a day when all this is done automatically, without hardly any effort from the composer... It would kill the fun in it!

Re: How Do I maximize my efficiency?

I guess I fall into the category of people who loathe the time consuming process of making something sound real.
    I will admit that it\'s gratifying when you\'re done, but the process can seem downright eternal while you\'re doing it.
    Thanks for your input
    Travis

Go Back to forum