• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lied voor Mensen (Song for the People)

Share/Bookmark

Lied voor Mensen (Song for the People)

Perhaps high time I grabbed in the old box again (1998). This is a religious song (one of the 50 I wrote) for young people (11-12 year-olds). They were meant to be sung at the occasion of their Holy Confirmation. These songs had to be easy, accessible and acceptable for the older church public. They were sung by some good youthful singers and by the entire group (solos and choir).
    I recorded these songs directly from Finale with the help of my faithful CC1 and JV1010. So, no DAW or post production techniques involved. All the effects (room, reverb) were handled within Finale. The melody line is only supportive for the singers. Unfortunately, there are no singers or lyrics here....

Enjoy the song!

Lied voor Mensen

Max

Thumbs up Re: Lied voor Mensen (Song for the People)

Streight on the target, it's doing the job!

I noticed the vintage sound, listening before reading your comments... I love looking into my "old box" as you do! and sometime nice surprises arrive from the past as well...

Re: Lied voor Mensen (Song for the People)

Wonderful, Max - The song is very pleasant, and seems very appropriate for Confirmation. AND I appreciate that you reached into the archives to share this. The analog synth sound can still be magical, when the recording is as nice as this. I think there's much to be said for this supposedly "old fashioned" sound - It's actually a breath of fresh air during this age of constantly trying to sound "real" when it really never does or can. Your recording has a twinkle to it that just can't be done with what we use now.

Thank you much.

Randy

Thank you, Randy,

This is indeed of a totally different reality. It has a certain charm and not only because it's nostalgic. Of course, I know the deeper meaning of the music and the text and the joy of the singing children (I did all the rehearsals and the final performance during the Confirmation mass) and together with the other songs (some 8 per year), they were a welcome change in an era of development in church music. But as you can guess, they were not welcomed by everybody. Music was not supposed to come to life in churches. Fortunately, that has changed now. Now, churches have to come to life...
    I still love the superior quality of these old Roland units. With little skills, one was able to create great sounds.

Thanks for passing by and commenting,

Max

Nice job, Mister Max! Sounds very good. I like your bass "inversions" very much. It's much more interesting than the standard bass patterns of sticking strictly to the root of the chord.

Way to go!

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Max, I loved your song.
    So simple but so effectively built. The melody really sticks in one' head... it is one of those melodies you need an ANTIDOTE for, it gets in and never goes away. Which is a good thing. VERY good.
    I am trying to imagine what the effect could be if this would be sung by a children choir.... should be lovely. Not that it sounds in any way "crippled", in this shape. Your synths actually do a very good job.
    You say there are no lyrics for this. I assume you mean there is no choir so the lyrics can not be sung. Could you just write them down in an additional post, so that we get the whole picture? It would be nice.
    I guess you are right by saying that the character of your song does not necessarily match the "requirements" of a certain kind of church mentality and culture... I can imagine that. Though, I do remember some really joyful church songs I used to have a nice time with, as a kid. It really depended on the specific cases and people in charge.
    I actually went to high school in a catholic institute and things were more "serious", there, joyful music was not tolerated. BUT it is there that I began loving Bach, as our .... "Kappelmeister" really loved him. I remember this rather "bombastic" sentence from her: "I, Teresa Campana, humble music teacher, do firmly believe that Johann Sebastian Bach is the best composer ever lived!".

Sorry for the OT.
    Thanks and, again, congratulations on the good job.

Fabry

Thanks, Fabry, for your kind words. There were lyrics of course, but not in this synth recording. Alas, that song was never recorded as such during the performances. A choir made a cd later with 8 of my songs, but I don't have it...

I will search down my house to find these lyrics (which are in Dutch of course) and I' ll post them later.

Kindly,

Max

While looking for the lyrics, I discovered a number of interesting things:

1. the song is older (1994)
    2. it couldn't have been made with Finale, so it must have been MPP, Music Printer Plus, the predecessor of Notion (by J. Jarret)
    3. the synth must have been the famous Sound Canvas, since the JV-1010 didn't exist at that time
    4. I have holes in my memory...

Finally, I've found a recording rehearsal session of the Saint Josephs Youth Choir. This is a lice recording, but not performed by my choir. (These people have made a cd later, but I don't have it.)

Lied voor mensen (+ choir)

Enjoy it,

Max

Hey Max, thanks for the share. It was a nice listen. I found it very involving and quite happy.

Regards.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    While looking for the lyrics, I discovered a number of interesting things:

1. the song is older (1994)
    2. it couldn't have been made with Finale, so it must have been MPP, Music Printer Plus, the predecessor of Notion (by J. Jarret)
    3. the synth must have been the famous Sound Canvas, since the JV-1010 didn't exist at that time
    4. I have holes in my memory...

Finally, I've found a recording rehearsal session of the Saint Josephs Youth Choir. This is a lice recording, but not performed by my choir. (These people have made a cd later, but I don't have it.)

Lied voor mensen (+ choir)

Enjoy it,

Max
    Max, It seems I forced you to a long journey in the past! Hope it was pleasant!

I DID enjoy the recording... no complaint concerning the synth version, but the choir really adds so much to... a song.
    Well... I would not understand lyrics in Dutch anyway, so do not get mad in trying to find them. If you do, write them down and I'll find a way to translate them, but don't get mad.

4. Everyone has

Thanks.

Fab

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast