• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Kirk Hunter Horns

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Horns

I\'m one of the beta testers of the KH Brass series. This is probably one of the \"tougher,\" times to release brass libraries with Dan Dean, Maarten, and now Kirk Hunter.

I got a chance to play around with the french horns of this library, and I was blown away. I did recieve SAM horns, and I was equally blown away. SAM horns are very pristine, but the Kirk Hunter library has some incredible edge to it. The FFF samples will rip your nose hairs off, (literally) and the ppp samples are incredibly woodwind-soft and very smooth.

Kirk has been working extensively on this 4-DVD library day and night now, and its really starting to show. I had a chance to mess with the trumpets as well, and I\'ve never heard from any brass library out there beautifully played SOFT trumpets. There is also a Trombone and Bass Trombone ensembles, and a tuba as well. The staccatos are very tight and crisp in the french horns, and the Tbones have some really sweet low blats as well.

I think what really separates Kirks libs are the human touches and very slight natural imperfections in the performances that most libraries lack today. They really breathe and cut through the mix without a problem. Again, this is just the beta version of the library, and surprisingly I was blown away with the out-of-box playability of this VERY large library.

Stay tuned, there will demos coming soon showing some of what you can do with this collection.

Re: Kirk Hunter Horns

So far, the Trombones are my favorite now, which I have been using in some new music. I am expecting another update any day. This will be a very good and extensive library (I got about 19 disks last update). I got his french horns just in time for my last game project, \"Fear the Sniper\". The brass works well with SAMs Horns too.

If it can do that cool Bill Brown RTCW intro trombones sound I will be incredibly interested. So, can it!?

Aaron,

What street price are we going to see on this one? Thanks in advance.

Rob

\"If it can do that cool Bill Brown RTCW intro trombones sound I will be incredibly interested. So, can it!?\"

They are certainly powerful enough to sound similar. I believe Bill used Roland and QLB (and maybe some custom stuff) for RTCW, so it therefore sounds like something made from those samples, so nothing is going to sound exactly like that unless you use the same samples. However, I believe you will be able to make something similar and equally powerful (perhaps cleaner and even more realistic) with KHB.

I do not believe there is a price set yet.

How do the trumpets sound? Are there plans for a full set of mutes and articulations?

\"mutes and articulations\"??

There are some mutes now, and many articulations, but it is not finished yet. This is going to be a huge lib.

Aaron,

What street price are we going to see on this one? Thanks in advance.

Rob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The set price is $399 which is an incredible KILLER bargain for this awesome collection. But do not quote me on this. (The price, I mean)
    If it can do that cool Bill Brown RTCW intro trombones sound I will be incredibly interested. So, can it!?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That trombone intro I believe was recorded live last I heard in the Bill Brown interview here at NS. I\'m not saying that Kirks brass cannot achieve this, but with some programming and intuition, I\'m sure it could be done. Like Doyle said, they are more than powerful enough.
    How do the trumpets sound? Are there plans for a full set of mutes and articulations?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I haven\'t had a chance to mess with Kirks newly edited trumpets, but I\'ll get to you on that.

Well, I really do believe that the price is $399, and you\'re right, it will set a standard for pricing. The price/samples ratio is almost laughably out of whack nowadays and getting ridiculous. ( $10,000 for the Vienna library? .... c\'monnnnn ) I\'m sure VSL will be a great lib, but 10 G\'s is insane. ( If I got the price wrong tell me please ) But again, I remember talking to Kirk, and the price is $399 for the collection. I\'ll talk to him just to make sure.

Not to sound like a party pooper but....is Kirk cool about you sharing this type of information?

I know that developers can be quite tight lipped about their products (as witnessed in the case of Tascam).

Go Back to forum