• Register
  • Help

Topic: Open Labs will have production models of Neko at NAMM this year

Share/Bookmark

Open Labs will have production models of Neko at NAMM this year

They plan to start shipping in the middle of this February. First model is a 64 synth key model for around $2K:

http://www.openlabs.com/

They have distributers set up, but won\'t release the list until NAMM. Going to be interesting if this sits beside the Yamahas and Korgs in Guitar Center shops.

Re: Open Labs will have production models of Neko at NAMM this year

And another link with the specs for the basic unit (there seem to be several variations, with prices running to to $8K, but this is the $2K unit):

http://store.openlabs.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects.exe/ECommStoreFront.woa/5/wa/DSCDirectAction/description?part=neKo3611&wosid=or2TdDC2ffQ22YTSpg 3RG3B2Fix&pageName=ECSFStoreHome&store=O penlabs&currentBatch=0&sortBy=1

At the very bottom, it says that there is bundled software and sounds, but I don\'t see any mention of what software is included. If they don\'t include any kind of softsampler, they may have some problems, since purchasing Giga or Kontakt would up the price another $300, but if they include Kompakt or something similar, they may be able to do a lot of business.

I know there are people who think this keyboard is silly, since it doesn\'t do much more than make what we already do more portable, and with a synth keyboard that won\'t be much good for pianos (I hear you, Bruce), but it will surely awaken more interest in sampling, and surely, surely make Yamaha and other companies dimly aware that we really don\'t need any more keyboards with a hundred megs of ROM samples.

(I want one with a weighted keyboard, but no such animal is listed, even in the 6500 model.)

And another link with the specs for the basic unit (there seem to be several variations, with prices running to to $8K, but this is the $2K unit):

http://store.openlabs.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects.exe/ECommStoreFront.woa/5/wa/DSCDirectAction/description?part=neKo3611&wosid=or2TdDC2ffQ22YTSpg 3RG3B2Fix&pageName=ECSFStoreHome&store=O penlabs&currentBatch=0&sortBy=1

At the very bottom, it says that there is bundled software and sounds, but I don\'t see any mention of what software is included. If they don\'t include any kind of softsampler, they may have some problems, since purchasing Giga or Kontakt would up the price another $300, but if they include Kompakt or something similar, they may be able to do a lot of business.

I know there are people who think this keyboard is silly, since it doesn\'t do much more than make what we already do more portable, and with a synth keyboard that won\'t be much good for pianos (I hear you, Bruce), but it will surely awaken more interest in sampling, and surely, surely make Yamaha and other companies dimly aware that we really don\'t need any more keyboards with a hundred megs of ROM samples.

(I want one with a weighted keyboard, but no such animal is listed, even in the 6500 model.)

(Sorry for the double post... I\'m not connected with the company.)

Go Back to forum