• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Solo Strings? (Without buying a $1K library?)

Share/Bookmark

Best Solo Strings? (Without buying a $1K library?)

My impression is that Dan Dean Solo Strings offers the best collection of solo strings, but I\'ve also read that it is all forte samples.

Two questions:

Is there a sample set that\'s as good, but includes other layers?

When played at lower volumes, does the DD strings sound convincing?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Best Solo Strings? (Without buying a $1K library?)

Maybe I should add that what I want to do is introduce a legato cello beneath just a piano and vocal. Slowish rock with very exposed instruments and voice, no effects.

(Are there mp3s of such an arrangement anywhere? Somehow, I never seem to see mp3s of intruments that include a vocal, or even simple two voice parts. Everything seems to be solo or quartet\\symphonic.)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    [QB]Maybe I should add that what I want to do is introduce a legato cello beneath just a piano and vocal. Slowish rock with very exposed instruments and voice, no effects.
    [QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hire a cello player for that gig. Otherwise, the Dan Dean cello is quite nice, but what you\'re talking about is not a job for samples. It\'s a job for a player.

Can\'t disagree that a live player is top choice-
    looks much better in the list of musical credits also, but wouldn\'t we all be using live players all the time if they were available/affordable?

I have and use the DD solo strings, and for your application, I believe the cello will be gorgeous.
    Its one of my favorites.

Carl
    Garden Creek Music

Hey Jake, if I were you, I\'d wait a little longer for some great solo strings. Gary is making one right now, and Kirk hunter is also making a solo string lib. I have DD Solo strings, and I\'ve been quite satisfied. The only thing I\'ve used it for is sustains. It can\'t do really soft stuff or really loud stuff. But it truly is a bang for the buck.

Apparently Big Fish Audio\'s New Solo Strings project is \"almost ready.\"

\"The price will under $499 and it will more than likely be 2 DVD\'s.\"

Here are a couple of demo links from a \"real rough\" beta version.

http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/BEETHOVEN2.mp3

http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/MARTELE1.mp3

What does \"almost ready\" mean? I was told that they would not be released until December. Have you heard otherwise?

Hi Jake,

Ive been using DD Solo Strings for over a year or so and have fiddled extensively with the cello in particular. Although the quality is good, I dont think you will ever fool anybody if the part is at all exposed or expressive. I agree that you need a live player.

Jim

Go Back to forum