• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Art Tatum - A Legend (and my kind of jazz piano)

Share/Bookmark

Art Tatum - A Legend (and my kind of jazz piano)

I noticed that quite of lot of you like Jazz. Me too. Again some time ago I downloaded all sorts of MIDI files, among them were Art Tatum recordings on PianoRoll. I took these, imported them in SONAR, added the Garritan A.S., amended the tempi, made some corrections and the results are two CD's filled with great music.

If you are really a Jazz Lover, download them, iTune-them, keep them, it will never come back again. This is the time to do it, your grandchildren will love you for that. It is historical, cultural, all American. Anything else? Enough promotion. No need telling the world that I rendered those.

Art Tatum Collection I

Art tatum Collection II

Notice, that the reverb is present but not audible. I think I used PianoVerb with those files.

If needed, wanted, desperately necessary, I also have rendered numerous (historical) Ragtime pieces. Please, tell me and I will upload them.

Raymond

Re: Art Tatum - A Legend (and my kind of jazz piano)

I grabbed them

Will take some time to dedicate a proper listening, but in the meanwhile I wanted to thank you: this is quite a present for all of us.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    I grabbed them

Will take some time to dedicate a proper listening, but in the meanwhile I wanted to thank you: this is quite a present for all of us.

Fab
    Take your time. All those pieces in one go is really too much to enjoy. Once in a while I'll pick one myself to get my head cleaned.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Take your time. All those pieces in one go is really too much to enjoy. Once in a while I'll pick one myself to get my head cleaned.

Raymond
    Hello Raymond,

You are really amazing in achieving piano sounds! I too love stride piano but I never realized that Art Tatum played all those James P. Johnson and Fats Waller tunes. I actually thought his career was much later. I have downloaded the lot and although I am a bit mystified by the slow tempi of Harlem Strut and Carolina Shout these tunes sound good in any tempo. Where did you find the mid-files?

Ragnar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Hellspong View Post
    Hello Raymond,

Where did you find the mid-files?

Ragnar
    That I don't know and I can't find it anymore. Did a lot of searches on the Internet, no result. That's a pity, because I wanted to give the maker credits of his works. It is quite possible that the website doesn't exist anymore... who knows. If anybody can find the maker of this, please let me know.

RR

Hello Raymond,

You are really amazing in achieving piano sounds! I too love stride piano but I never realized that Art Tatum played all those James P. Johnson and Fats Waller tunes. I actually thought his career was much later. I have downloaded the lot and although I am a bit mystified by the slow tempi of Harlem Strut and Carolina Shout these tunes sound good in any tempo.
    Ragnar
    It is possible that Art T. didn't play some of them on PianoRoll. I really don't know, but they were in those downloadable midi files (Folders). About the tempi. I only changed it a bit, and not even for every piece. But sometimes they were really too fast.

Raymond

You need to know that you are violating copyrights. You could have lawsuits filed against you.

If you were Art Tatum or the owners of the tunes that Tatum didn't write, would you like someone to make your music available to the public free of all charges?

Do you have written permission from the Art Tatum estate to do what you are doing? If not, then you should cease and desist for your own good.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

You are really amazing in achieving piano sounds!
    I have a vinyl recording (transferred to CD) of Oscar Peterson's Album "For my friends only". The moment I heard the first track I closed my eyes and could feel and hear the great Oscar playing in my living-room. Superb recording in a small ambience. Taking that as an example I made this one. As I remember well, recorded with the Garritan A.S. - Players Perspective with very little extra reverb. I must have experimented with the velocity curves.... but don't ask me the details. The project doesn't exist anymore on my system, only the results. Of course I made a CD for my own collection.

Nice to read that you guys love it,

Raymond

This is fantastic, Raymond, but I think Larry is right about this. It might be dangerous, the author's rights vultures are always looking over our shoulders...

Max

Art Tatum links disabled. I am not sure about the copyrights issues. I really couldn't find any copyright holders, owners....

See IMSLP text:

Works by this person are most likely not public domain within the EU and in those countries where the copyright term is life+70 years. They may also be protected by copyright in the USA, unless published before 1923, in which case they are PD there as well. However, this person's works are public domain in Canada (where IMSLP is hosted), and in other countries where the copyright term is life+50 years. IMSLP does not assume any sort of legal responsibility or liability for the consequences of downloading files that are not in the public domain in your country.

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast