• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Just Because It's Snowing

Share/Bookmark

Just Because It's Snowing

Nothing special, just a thought on a cold night.

https://app.box.com/s/h8td3fxzvfc0phwqf031

Re: Just Because It's Snowing

Very nice, Tom - I enjoyed that. It's elegant, rather elegiac, and certainly classical in its structure.

Ah me, now you have me thinking of how winter does seem to be upon us. The season always makes me pine again for the days when I lived in sunny southern California, not missing the four distinct seasons one whit.

Could you tell us the instruments used in this? I think you always use only Garritan, so-the choir, which organ?-and then some solo strings?

Thanks.

Randy

Very intriguing, Tom. Definitely classical, mostly strict counterpoint with a lot of canonic elements in it, all at the octave seems to me. Nice to depict those snow crystals falling while listening to your piece... you definitely nailed the atmosphere.
    I did really like those sparkling dissonances in the first bar, they somehow trigger the interest. Are they minor seventh leaps? There are two voices leaping the 7th one after the other, at the distance of a quarter note.... or please explain in case I did not get it right. But I did anyway like that passage very much. (EDIT: or a minor 7th leap in the choir and a minor second - or ninth in the violin? Don't know...)

Instruments seem all Garritan to my ears.... my guess is 4 voices, violin, cello and two choirs, a female choir in "Ahs" and male in "Ohs".... but it is just my guess.

Thanks very much for this.

Fab

Thank you Randy and Fab. The instruments are all Garrison - solo violin, solo viola, solo cello and 1st bass. The SATB voices are from the Olympus Micro Choir all on the syllable, "Oh." Not a bad acquisition for only $20.00.

This project took about 90 minutes and allowed time to experiment a bit with dynamics and tempo alteration. The solo violin is doubling the soprano line at the octave as in the viola with the alto line. The cello is in unison with the tenor line and the contra bass is an octave below the bass voice. That provided an unusual strength to the tenor to bring out the modal effect while preventing the intervals from becoming muddy. All items loaded into ARIA with the ambience set on, "Church."

Sorry, Randy, but no organ here - just the tonal play among the solo instruments and choir.

I have always been fond of escape tones and leaps of 7ths and 9ths.

It's funny how, when listening through the piece the first time the snow ended during the last 3 measures and a bright moon lit up the fields beyond my window.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ...Sorry, Randy, but no organ here - just the tonal play among the solo instruments and choir...
    Thanks for the reply, Tom - Of course, this is the nice Micro Choir you got awhile back. It sounds very nice, and is serving you well!

I understand now - It's the notation, perfect quantization that made me think I was hearing an organ doubling the choir. It's the well known "organ effect," but I listened again, and while it still sounds like an organ to me, half way through I start to pick out the solo strings. It's just a Finale rendering thing tricking my ears, but doesn't matter really, your nicely done composition is the main thing.

Thanks for the reply and for posting music - I wish you would post more often!

Randy

I really enjoyed this piece Tom, I think you've almost won me over with the leaps of 7ths and 9ths (I've never been a fan until now).
    I didn't post last night because I was almost asleep, but I really felt that you captured the scenery in this short piece, but maybe that's because I was walking to my car in the snow while I was listening to it! haha All together I really enjoyed it and the way you compose feels almost nostalgic, in a way that if you wanted to your music can stand the test of time, but that's just my opinion.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you,
    Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Langer View Post
    I really enjoyed this piece Tom, I think you've almost won me over with the leaps of 7ths and 9ths (I've never been a fan until now).
    I didn't post last night because I was almost asleep, but I really felt that you captured the scenery in this short piece, but maybe that's because I was walking to my car in the snow while I was listening to it! haha All together I really enjoyed it and the way you compose feels almost nostalgic, in a way that if you wanted to your music can stand the test of time, but that's just my opinion.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you,
    Joseph
    Joseph, I thank you for such kind words. When my music pleases even one person I am grateful.

Tom

Thanks for the Share Tom, great piece! The micro choir works great with the Garritan Instruments. I found this to be a bit SPOOKY!!! but winter can be spooky!!! LOL!! All that snow fall, blizzards... cold weather... etc... Funny thing is I love WINTER! I hate summer lol... Great piece man... thank you for letting me endource my thoughts on winter!

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Thanks for the Share Tom, great piece! The micro choir works great with the Garritan Instruments. I found this to be a bit SPOOKY!!! but winter can be spooky!!! LOL!! All that snow fall, blizzards... cold weather... etc... Funny thing is I love WINTER! I hate summer lol... Great piece man... thank you for letting me endource my thoughts on winter!

Regards,

Richard
    Richard,

Thank you very much for your comments. We share much in our thoughts on winter. This piece was created around 3 AM on a fairly Gothic winter morning. It was 2 degrees below zero with a wind of 35 mph gusting to 45. The snow was falling almost horizontally. Shiloh, my 3 year old dog, was snuggly wrapped in a tight ball in front of the fireplace while the wind whistled under the eaves of the house. It was easy to harbor bleak yet secure tonal thoughts.

Hello Tom:

Amazing you put this together so quickly. To me, JSB would be happy for this composition, and I am enjoying it very much.
    This is only my feeling, that a little more reverb, especially on the choir, and some cutting off the attack on the strings would sound even better ( again, only me..)

Lovely piece,

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast