• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anyone know what samples Vangelis uses in Antarctica?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone know what samples Vangelis uses in Antarctica?

I think this is one of the most stunning new age pieces that I\'ve heard and I was wondering if anyone knows any details about how it was created and what sounds were used. Thanks in advance.

John

Re: Does anyone know what samples Vangelis uses in Antarctica?

What year did \"Antarctica\" come out? 1983 is the date referenced on the compilation \"Vangelis Themes\" CD I have. I don\'t have my sampler timeline handy, but I would guess that the sounds are largely a combination of analog synths and acoustic instruments. On his recordings it states \"composed, arranged, produced and performed by Vangelis\". That should narrow it down, huh? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You might look through some back issues/archives of Electronic Musician and Keyboard magazine for articles on Van the man himself.

You might also want to post to Craig Anderton\'s forum over on MusicPlayer.com.

Kevin

Re: Does anyone know what samples Vangelis uses in Antarctica?

Vangelis is possibly my favourite electronic composer. The level of expression that he achieves in recordings such as Antartica is nothing short of sublime. The main centrepiece of his keyboard rig was, at that time, the Yamaha CS80 & CS1, I believe. Polyphonic aftertouch and multiple layers of sawtooth oscillatiors all combine to produce that \'Vangelis\' sound.

Go Back to forum