• Register
  • Help

Topic: The First Time I Saw Her

Share/Bookmark

The First Time I Saw Her

The First Time I Saw Her

It has been a long time since I have posted anything here. I was very busy for most of 2013 with non-music issues. And since I rarely comment on others pieces (because I do not thing I have much to contribute) I try not to post too much here. Also I have tried for the most part tried (for my own reasons) post only 100% Garritan pieces, but today is an exception. The following piece is mostly Garritan; all of the Hand percussion and misc percussion are from various Garritan products (JABB, CAMB, World, GPO) and the main leads are Garritan. The Flute and Oboe are (if I remember correctly, it has been a few months) are from CAMB while the solo Violin and Cello are from GPO. The Violin and Cello are both run through a guitar amp VST. The rest of the instruments are from other libraries (Drums/Synthesizers/Bass). Do not let the slow and soft intro fool you; it gets quite loud very quickly.

The First Time I Saw Her

More on the composition itself:
    http://edosbear.blogspot.com/2013/07...i-saw-her.html
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Re: The First Time I Saw Her

Ed - It's a great surprise to see you here again, it's been so long!

And I have a theory as to why nobody's replied yet to the piece you posted: Probably more than anything I can think of Ever in the history of The Listening Room, or at least the history I'm aware of, -has there ever been a piece of music with So Many Personalities --all rolled in to one recording! I think people are confused, don't know what to make of it, and therefore don't know what to say.

I suppose I can really only speak for myself. I confess I don't know what to say exactly - except to say that I Thoroughly enjoyed it. I clicked Start, feeling sufficiently forewarned that the opening was going to be gentle and not a clue about what would follow. I wasn't disappointed! Change after Change came along, and I found it all really fun to listen to - Dramatic, artfully rock at times, driving, mysterious--all Sorts of things.

There's a Lot there - And maybe it could be divided into pieces which could each be developed into more cohesive wholes - But that doesn't matter. Here's what you have, and at the very least, I found it Very Interesting.

I hope other people step up and get brave enough to at Least thank you for joining in again!

Randy

Ehi Ed... I have a piece in the listening room that has been posted the same day and same time than yours (only AM instead of PM)... and both of us are nicknaming the pieces "Frankenstein" (me in the thread name, you in the comments to the piece). Thought it was funny to point out...

Yep, it is an interesting listen, I appreciated the extremely personal approach. No influences here... you just went out there and did your own thing, going through changes of mood, violins that want to be rock guitars, drums & percussion that do punch hard and some sonically spot on synths.

Just one question. Why do you "try not to post too much here"? I mean.. are you intentionally avoiding posting here? Did not get this...

Anyway, well done.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post

Just one question. Why do you "try not to post too much here"? I mean.. are you intentionally avoiding posting here? Did not get this...
    Thank you for taking the time to listen and reply.

I do not post too often as I do not feel that I comment enough on other's pieces and I do not feel it would be right for me to only posts my pieces while never commenting on other people's pieces. Note: I do tend to listen quite a bit to what is posted here, but I rarely feel I have something positive or insightful to say.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
    ... I do tend to listen quite a bit to what is posted here, but I rarely feel I have something positive or insightful to say.
    Just a "Hey, thanks for posting!" helps keep the ol' Forum wheels turning, Ed. No big insight or rah-rah has to be in a reply.

And--btw, again, Thanks for posting!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to listen and reply.

I do not post too often as I do not feel that I comment enough on other's pieces and I do not feel it would be right for me to only posts my pieces while never commenting on other people's pieces. Note: I do tend to listen quite a bit to what is posted here, but I rarely feel I have something positive or insightful to say.
    I do agree with Randy. There's no need for something positive and/or insightful. Just mention that you listened... even a simple emoticon will do, and the community will get going. IF you have something positive to say, do it.... IF you rather feel like expressing something "negative".. make it a constructive criticism, this is useful anyway ... and probably even more useful: one never stops learning and a different point of view is probably what everyone looks for when sharing music.
    Do not feel "obliged" to comment... just enjoy being part of a community, as simple as that. That's, of course, my humble opinion: I am not "forcing" you to comment.

Fab

P.S. I am personally not a very frequent attender. Unfortunately, I do not always have much time to dedicate, either to this community or to music. But if I "step-by" and listen, then I'll comment.

Go Back to forum