• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A little revolution ? (I mean, for us too...)

Share/Bookmark

A little revolution ? (I mean, for us too...)

I don’t want to make any publicity here.

I’m not ‘linked’ in any way with that society.

Just want to share with you the mail I’ve just received. Look at that :

http://www.hyperos2002.com/07042003/img/HD2zoom.gif

It’s this : http://www.hyperos2002.com/07042003/products.htm#hyperosHDIIproduct

The first Ram Drive which could be used for an OS.

Or a sample library... (At least, a little one...)

Unfortunatly, 3 GB is a bit short for XP and our musical soft...

And the price... God.

But.

If it works well... maybe is it the beginning of a little revolution.

Regards

The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.

Re: A little revolution ? (I mean, for us too...)

Whoa, that\'s awesome...

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] WOW What a year. Interesting years ago I had a prof. at McMaster U. Working on this for the postal system in china looks like they are coming down in price. I also heard there is a significant increase in size for flash cards coming. I just thought it would reach the general market years from now. This is great! no moving parts [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Give this 2 years and WOW!!!! I mean this is still way kewl now, but 3 gigs for that price [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Now that is what a hard disk should be. Lighting fast and silent!

It should be interesting to use it like RAM (2Ghz of \"true\" memory more 3Ghz of \"Hardware\" memory)

If you\'re going to use RAM, I don\'t see the advantage of having a card full of RAM pretending it\'s a hard drive being accessed through an interface designed for hard drives. Why not simply have more system RAM (volatile, or non-volatile), integrated as system RAM? To me, that would make more sense.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Interesting remark.

Insomuch as, some mother board gets 6 RAM slots now...

It should be interesting to use it like RAM (2Ghz of \"true\" memory more 3Ghz of \"Hardware\" memory)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In some way, that’s what should happening if you put some samples on it, for example. Or the swap files etc...

But as I could understand the concept, the problem is : ATA 33 transmission... the system seems to be more faster than a HD, but probably less than a slot RAM.

Anyway what I like in that concept :

You push the button, and 3 second latter... You can work.

My dream.

The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.

According to my calculations, this drive will stream 3000 voices. STREAM THEM.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giga 3 has no software limit. In theory, it will stream whatever you throw at it.

Give it a couple of years, and we\'ll have 20GB ram drives for $500.

Harddrives are the last remaining bottleneck in a streaming sampler system, and by god we just completely, utterly NUKED it out of the solar system.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Leon Willett:
    According to my calculations, this drive will stream 3000 voices. STREAM THEM.

Giga 3 has no software limit. In theory, it will stream whatever you throw at it.

Give it a couple of years, and we\'ll have 20GB ram drives for $500.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Two years? I want it now! I can\'t wait.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Google uses something like these for their servers.

Another cool thing about this is it\'s size. This is smaller than a hard drive (though it fits in a standard bay). What will this mean for laptop audio in a year or two?

I\'ve always hated the fact that you get slow 5400 rpms hard drives with laptops...

Also,

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Less Heat...
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Less Noise...
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Less Power Consumption...
    [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] More Expensive...

pretty affordable similar product:
    http://www.cenatek.com/product_rocketdriveDL.cfm

or the highest-end of data storage for Alexcremers, now availible and in store(s):
    http://www.superssd.com/products/tera-ramsan/
    features: 1 Terabyte (1024 GB!) of SD-RAM, connectable via fibre optical devices, 12GB/s sustained data transfer
    drawbacks: needs 5,000 watt, a new sideboard in your living room, pricing starting above 1 Mio US-$, I think for this unit you need even military license (so far mostly used there anyways yet)

less heat, less noise, more power consumption, more expensive [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hansi

btw. Some Notebooks only have 4200rpm drives, wonder about noise? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    almost forgot: please click the second link, make some traffic, gain interest, I want those damn prices to drop before I get this thing! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum