• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Arrangers of pop/rock. Help needed... (link just posted)

Share/Bookmark

Re: Arrangers of pop/rock. Help needed... (link just posted)

My number one tip for you would be to listen to a bunch of different artists/groups that are making the kind of music that you\'re trying to arrange. Just like with traditional orchestration, there\'s much to be learned by careful analysis.

Alan, are you talking about arranging pop/rock tune for orchestra?

Originally posted by falcon1:
    Alan, are you talking about arranging pop/rock tune for orchestra?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, just arranging the actual pop/rock tune. I did include a piano and violins along-side the guitars but the piece really isn\'t appropriate for full orchestra.

If you\'d like to hear the beta arrangment PM me and I\'ll send you the link.

Hi Alan,

An easy trick that works every time: Make sure you are matching the beat of your bass drum to down beat of your bass guitar. Gives it a great punch, and guarenteed to have even Grandma tapping her foot.

I agree with Joanne 100%. It\'s sure seems very obvious, but you\'d be amazed at the difference it makes. I\'m a bassist, and when I want to add a bass line to a Stylus drum groove, for eg, I always pay close attention to the way the bass drum is played, and I try to \'sit\' with it.

While it\'s hard to give advice about arranging a song without hearing some of the material, I would say keep to the popular verse chorus verse form. Predictability is generally a good thing in pop music.

If you PM me the link I\'ll be glad to give you a more specific opinion.

Alan,

How about a link for a listen. I can\'t suggest without hearing it.

Alan Rssell

Hi Alan,

I actually think your singing fits this particular tune very well.

Again, maybe save the heavy metal strums for latter and start off with 12-string acoustic first few bars, then bring in bass and drums, matching the down strums of the guitar with the bass drum and bass guitar as earlier mentioned. Maybe about 1/2 through add in the more heavy metal electric strums. And I keep hearing lots of guitar pick harmonics layered on top of the traditional electric chords- especially in the bars with silence. Good luck - and compared to orchestral, this should be a piece of cake for you!

P.S. Please keep in mind when you listen that this was written and recorded yesterday, I did the guitar in one take (on the second take) and the vocals were finished within a half hour, this is just a blueprint/scratch-track... just putting the pieces together.

Thanks.

Go Back to forum