• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is AO good enough in place of LOP?

Share/Bookmark

Is AO good enough in place of LOP?

I\'ve been thinking about selling my Roland XP-80 and using the money to get some new sounds. My dad was gracious enough to let me use one of his keyboards for a long time, so I don\'t have to go buy a new controller keyboard. I\'m thinking the XP-80 will sell for around $1100 or so (it\'s got Orchestral I & II boards and World expansion as well). I might want to hang onto some of that money though, so I was considering getting Advanced Orchestra (the full set) to fill in my requirements for woodwinds and percussion. I talked to someone at Soundsonline and they said you cannot buy AO woodwinds separately.. only the AO strings come separate from the set. I decided I wanted the AO winds because I like having the effects such as glissandi, flutter-tongue, etc., and I was told DDSW doesn\'t have those.

So I was wondering, is AO\'s percussion pretty good? What does LOP have that AO doesn\'t? All I really need is some good timpanis, triangle, some good cymbal rolls (rolls are a must!) and crashes, and maybe some tam tams. Would I be missing out if I grabbed AO and used its percussion instead of getting LOP?

Thanks!

Re: Is AO good enough in place of LOP?

Get LOP - you won\'t be disappointed. The AO percussion just doesn\'t compare nor give you the options.

if you go to www.timespace.com, Im pretty sure you can find the AO broken down into sections.

I like AO percussion except I dont like the snare at all, and from what I have heard of LOP/Ultimate percussion has quite nice sounding snares.

Ed

Originally posted by Haydn:
    Get LOP - you won\'t be disappointed. The AO percussion just doesn\'t compare nor give you the options.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, I figured. The issue is that I can\'t afford both LOP and AO, and I\'d only be getting AO for the winds... it would be a waste. But I just saw the post saying I CAN get the AO winds alone.. nice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Ed:
    if you go to www.timespace.com, Im pretty sure you can find the AO broken down into sections.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I see it, but not for GigaStudio. What if I bought the AKAI version? Would I just have to create the keyswitches myself?

Thanks

you can only get AO seperately in AKAI. So yah you\'ll have to build the gig KeySwitches and Xfades yourself (great introduction to the editor [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

LOP is better than AO perc, but you can get by with \"basic\" percusion in AO. In fact I still use alot of AO when doing simple mockups, its just easier.

So if you\'re looking to save some cash, I\'d say this. Get AO. Use SAM\'s free timp and the G-Town free percusion to add some flare to your percusion sounds.

BTW, I still use some of the XP orch-1 board\'s percussion to round out the low end since there are some booomy bass drums

some of the AO perc is pretty useful, but the timpani is painfully out of tune. ouch.

the timps in LOP sound good, but don\'t seem to be recorded very loud, so it\'s hard to get them to cut thru in a midi mix. it works to record them and goose the level, but it\'s an irritating extra step for such an important instrument in such a comprehensive set.

HTH

jd

I just revisited the AO set and went through all the sounds. It really is a good set. Sure many things may not compare to the more recent libraries, but overall it really is great value and a very big library when you think about it. I really think AO is a must in any library, as it covers so many bases (and cellos and violins etc [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

I\'d say get the AO giga set, and add onto it later when there\'s more money floating around.

The person above is right about the snares though. AO snares are OK, but the UOP blows it away.

It depends what other libraries you have; what are you using for strings and brass? AO Woodwinds are well worth getting, as are the strings for effects but LOP is way better percussion you won\'t miss the effects much from AO brass, so you would be much better off with DDSB or something like that.

If however this is your first library purchase then you won\'t go wrong with AO....which I think we reccomended in a thread a while back.

Hey all,

Thanks for the tips. My current library consists of GOS Lite, SAM stuff (Horns, Timpani, Trumpet, Flute FX), and G-Town Snare & Cymbals.

Maybe I will pick up AO Full, then. And maybe VOTA if I have the $ for it (I need a good choir).

Go Back to forum