• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Waves Mastering question for Bruce (others?)

Share/Bookmark

Waves Mastering question for Bruce (others?)

I am putting the finishing touches (creating a CD Master) on my first Giga project and am looking at downloading the Waves Mastering Bundle for a 14-day trial. All that I read about, makes me think I will likely pick it up. But just to be sure my \'14 trial period\' is not just spent figuring out the basics, I was hoping to get a couple of tips / secrets on working with it.

The subject material is Orchestral w/Piano.

Just to be clear, I did download the three manuals and obtained a wealth of information from them. It did, however, generate a few questions:

1. What has everyone used for dithering (Ultra, Type 1??). I will be sending this CD Master to a dupl house (asking them for no additional mastering or processing.) Is Ultra going to create problems or should I use Normal?

2. For best results, do you set your peak levels at -1dB or -.3dB (is there much difference).

3. For Orchestral music do you use \'Opto\' or \'electro\' settings on the Multiband?

4. I know alot of this is \'season to taste\' but where do you begin on \'low-level upward compression\'. Do you still peak limit some of the higher transients?

5. Would you really ever want to use the included EQ for this type of music? I have read where a gentle \'smiley face\' may be appropiate (+2 to 5 dB 150hz and below and the same at 10K and above.) Any tried and true experience there?

6. I can easily see how \'having these powerful tools in the \'wrong hands\' can reek havoc, but one must start somewhere. Any suggestions on your workflow using them?

Thanks in advance for any help you can be.

Rob

Re: Waves Mastering question for Bruce (others?)

I don\'t know much about mastering, but I\'m sure I\'ve read that you should only dither a recording once - so maybe it\'s not such a good idea to dither before they re-master your files and dither again.

Oops, missread - you\'re asking for NO additional mastering. Definitely dither it then.

My understanding about your typical dupl house is that they will not do ANYMORE than is asked for ($$$). If they are given a CD Master and asked to burn 1000 copies that\'s all you\'ll get (plus any jacketing / printing ordered, etc.) They expect it to be in a 44Khz / 16 bit format - already dithered.

Rob.

You can set your file at -.1 dbs to master it for max volume though it may sound distorted so losing 1db is no real big deal. As for EQ mastering you usually want 15khz down to almost -inf since it is more of an air type effect when high, you can also lower 5,7 and 10 khz a little (listen to the piece while you adjust the eq if you can) accordingly. 20-25 hz are inaudible (i think) so you can lower those to -inf. Hope this helps any.

Rob,

You only need to dither if you recorded the project at 24 bit and are reducing it to 16 bit for the CD. If it was recorded at 16 bit (and since Giga only supports 16 bit that is likely) you don\'t need to dither at all.

I set my peak levels at -0.3.

As far as your other questions, the object is to make your music sound good, not fit a mold. Do what sounds good to you. Then play it back on all the systems you can get your hands on.

Be careful not to overcompress the material with orchestral music. Your tendency when first using a mastering compressor will probably be to overdo it. When I master live recordings of classical or band music, I use the compressor to just barely hit the peaks. That brings the level up without squashing it.

-- Martin

Rob,

BTW, there are other options besides Waves. I prefer Izotope Ozone and dB Audioware\'s mastering tools to the Wave L2 for acoustic music. I compared them extensively and in very few cases did I like the Waves L2 as well as dB-L or Ozone. And the db-Audioware set of Dx plugs is only $99. It\'s one of the best investments I\'ve made in mastering tools. I use it a lot. www.db-audioware.com. Ozone is www.izotope.com and is also reasonably priced.

There really is not one global solution for every type of music.

-- Martin

Originally posted by mschiff:
    ... and since Giga only supports 16 bit that is likely) you don\'t need to dither at all...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you use a 24-bit audio card you will of course be glad that GigaStudio can output summed information with 24-bit accuracy, also if the individual sample wave files are only in 16-bit.

Cheers,
    Peter

Originally posted by mschiff:
    Rob,

BTW, there are other options besides Waves. I prefer Izotope Ozone and dB Audioware\'s mastering tools to the Wave L2 for acoustic music. I compared them extensively and in very few cases did I like the Waves L2 as well as dB-L or Ozone. And the db-Audioware set of Dx plugs is only $99. It\'s one of the best investments I\'ve made in mastering tools. I use it a lot. www.db-audioware.com. Ozone is www.izotope.com and is also reasonably priced.

There really is not one global solution for every type of music.

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Anyone else using these tools? Very interested in hearing more comments, reviews, Urls, etc

Thanks,
    Peter

When we have stuff mastered, I\'ve noticed the engineer tends to raise a curve around 20khz - he insists that it adds \'air\', and he\'s pretty well repsected around here. YMMV.

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    When we have stuff mastered, I\'ve noticed the engineer tends to raise a curve around 20khz - he insists that it adds \'air\', and he\'s pretty well repsected around here. YMMV.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Do you produce music for dogs, perhaps?

Go Back to forum