• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: New Danny Elfman interview .... "hates being a composer"

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

New Danny Elfman interview .... "hates being a composer"

BBC radio broadcast an interview with Danny Elfman on Monday, just gone. The programme is about an hour long, including about 20 minutes of interview with him ... where he reveals just how much he hates his job ... no kidding.

You can still hear at this link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/stagescreen.shtml

Click on \"listen to latest programme\".

Re: New Danny Elfman interview .... "hates being a composer"

Thanks Martin

Dang...I listened to about half of it, and was really enjoying it.
    I stopped for lunch, and now it doesn\'t work.

Maybe Elfman\'s ghost writers filed an injunction? :-)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

What I thought was really interesting, and informative of our discussions of \"Hollywood Sound\" was how ratty The Simpsons\' theme sounded laid bare. The interview that went with it was really kind of funny, that Elfman basically did a one-day knockout and put the thing together in a two-hour hit and run (which you can clearly hear sans picture/foley).

But when you add the picture and sound effects to that theme, as it plays in the actual show, the rattiness and slop in the mix, and the clearly fragmented performance gels into something bigger than the music track itself.

I really liked hearing it (and hearing the musical examples). A few of the tracks had imaging that were just all over the map, trumpets coming from the left, then the right, then different tones altogether coming from different places. If someone had posted that here, they\'d have probably gotten a ration of grief about how fake it sounded, haha... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    If someone had posted that here, they\'d have probably gotten a ration of grief about how fake it sounded, haha...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">LOL Bruce! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Great interview, but at times uncomfortable to listen to. These are the words of severe (and usually irreversable at this stage) burn out. Maybe the music mind is like land - even though your farm may loose short term revenues, you need to let the acreage rest for a few years before re-planting.

How exactly does a man rest when he has Bridget Fonda in his bed... ?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Joanne Babunovic:
    Great interview, but at times uncomfortable to listen to. These are the words of severe (and usually irreversable at this stage) burn out. Maybe the music mind is like land - even though your farm may loose short term revenues, you need to let the acreage rest for a few years before re-planting.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I guess I\'m right there with him. I did a series, assorted music projects, and seven theater shows in 2002, and it almost killed me. His comments about the general mindset of directors is right on. Very few directors are \"normal\" in any sense of the word, and you are on a heck of a ride with most of them.

This year, I did fewer shows, and I am not so burned out. But it takes nothing to put me right back in that place. Right now I am very much in the middle of that grief he describes--of needing to narrow down on a theme for my current film. The director is getting antsy, and I am still trying to find that thing which works on every level of the show so that I can get the top of the show done. The investors want to see it, he wants to see it, and I\'ve got squat. I\'ve actually started scoring scenes all around the middle that don\'t need so much thematic stitching, but that\'s only making it worse. It will all hit at once, and be fine just like always. But I\'ve got to have the whole score done by mid-March, and it\'s getting to that point where non-productive days this week will equal all-nighters a month from now.

Yet, I think he\'s halfway kidding, even though he sounds dark. I just saw Big Fish, and I know that film must have tortured him. I\'ll bet he\'d have a different attitude when something that huge isn\'t hanging over his head. It was a big, saturated film.

I hear myself saying the same things at times, but I wouldn\'t trade this \"agony\" for anything.

And Bruce I suppose it is worth mentioning that what Danny describes eventually happens in every demanding/high stress profession. So to your point, we might as well crash and burn with music, vs. burn out from too many years managing the supply chain of widgets.

Hey Andy,
    Thanks for the link. Nice site. I also took a listen to the HG Wagner interview. Good stuff as well. I am curious if anyone might be able to guess... which Shostokovich symphony Elfman is referring to. It sounds to me like a must-hear. Can\'t say I am too familiar with any of his stuff so, any faves out there?

Happy New Year to all
    see ya next year

cb

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast