• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Grand Piano, very first beta - opinions!!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Grand Piano, very first beta - opinions!!!!!

Ok, pianos, pianos, pianos.....\'
    Here\'s the result from the very first beta of the Grand piano that I\'m working at right now.
    It\'s a 8/8 velocity grand piano that\'s supposed to be used in a more pop/rock type of enviroment.
    As usual, opinions are welcome!
    It\'s still in beta, so there\'s a lot of work to be done.
    Bigga Beta Grand Demo 1

...and yes, you will be able to get a very sweet bundle deal on this and the Rain Piano when both are done!

Re: Grand Piano, very first beta - opinions!!!!!

Very nice work Worra...as usual.

She is a bright one ain\'t she! It definitely screams to be used in the pop/rock world as you said. It is shy on low end, but that just means it will squeeze into dense pop tracks without muddying things up.

Even for a dry patch, I am surprised how little ambience I can hear. Here again, a nice choice for the genre.

My only critique is that I would like to hear a \"softer\" soft. Even soft notes sound a little hard to my ear. What kind of piano?

Could you tell the recording chain used? I\'ll be a little surprised if there is no EQ in the path. I have only recently heard the new AT4040\'s get such a glassy piano sound. Maybe some Sanken\'s once too....

Great job....I\'m sure it will be a bargain

Originally posted by Kevin Perry:
    Very nice work Worra...as usual.

She is a bright one ain\'t she! It definitely screams to be used in the pop/rock world as you said. It is shy on low end, but that just means it will squeeze into dense pop tracks without muddying things up.

Even for a dry patch, I am surprised how little ambience I can hear. Here again, a nice choice for the genre.

My only critique is that I would like to hear a \"softer\" soft. Even soft notes sound a little hard to my ear. What kind of piano?

Could you tell the recording chain used? I\'ll be a little surprised if there is no EQ in the path. I have only recently heard the new AT4040\'s get such a glassy piano sound. Maybe some Sanken\'s once too....

Great job....I\'m sure it will be a bargain
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mics used where: Neuman U87 for bass and AKG D414 on mid and high. I then used a Pearl TL4 stereo mic at the end for a little ambience.

Yes, these recordings have been eq:ed. It\'s runned thrue a Soundtracs IL 4832 and recorded to ProTools HD-1. 24 bits, 44.1 KHz stereo.

I wanted it eq:ed since it\'s a pop/rock/contemporary type of pianos.

All whole notes, that is white keys, are sampled. I sampled 12-13 velocites/note and are in the process of chosing 8 from each note.
    Pedal up and pedal down are sampled separatly.
    Samples are 15 seconds long and will be looped to emulate a full decay, but I seriously doubt that anyone will reach the loop points that often in normal playing....

There will be both 24 bit and 16 bit version for platforms that can handle that, (Hey Tascam guys! 3.0...??? 24 bits....????)

The Grand is a 275 Centimeter (what\'s that in inch...???) Malmsjo Grand from the 20\'s.

I\'ll make some patches where the soft notes are more prominent!

Sounds very good, although it seems a little more crisp than I might want in many settings. Bass is vey clear--pronounced without being overpowering. The midrange seems to lack definition, to my ear. The midi file doesn\'t let us hear treble notes for long.

I have to admit that I\'ve never liked this midi file: very few notes are exposed for long, and it\'s all forte or harder playing, so one can\'t judge the velocity switching.

In other words, could you post another midi of just a few chords being played and sustained? I understand that the demo files tend to be fast so we can judge the interpolation, but it would be nice to hear how a very slow, exposed ballad sounded, so we could hear the individual notes.

As usual the AKG414 mic tends to produce slightly undesirable aspects to my ears since it is a bit too upfront for my normal tastes. Otherwise though, I\'d be quite happy to play this live and for the sort of idiom that it is created for, it stands very well and the majority of \"playing\" venues have sufficient inherrent absorption to counteract any slightly bright character.
    It always mystifies me that anyone can produce different velocities to an accurate degree without some sort of machine (and then one would have extra action noise of the \"playing machine2 to contend with) to precisely hit the note with so many ounces or kilos etc. of attack.
    I know that the likes of Ashkenasy can pretty much control their touch weights down to a very fine degree but short of this, anyone who produces multiple velocities that are even, has to be congratulated.
    Nice work

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    Sounds very good, although it seems a little more crisp than I might want in many settings. Bass is vey clear--pronounced without being overpowering. The midrange seems to lack definition, to my ear. The midi file doesn\'t let us hear treble notes for long.

I have to admit that I\'ve never liked this midi file: very few notes are exposed for long, and it\'s all forte or harder playing, so one can\'t judge the velocity switching.

In other words, could you post another midi of just a few chords being played and sustained? I understand that the demo files tend to be fast so we can judge the interpolation, but it would be nice to hear how a very slow, exposed ballad sounded, so we could hear the individual notes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks!

This is a very early beta, and I can probably do some more patches that sounds a bit more mellow, but the intention of these samples are that they will work/sound well in a pop/rock/contemporary situation, therefore it sounds crisp and hasn\'t got a very pronounced bass, so please don\'t compare this with the other sampled pianos that exist in giga-format since most of them are supposed to work more in a classical enviroment.

I used the midi from the piano shootout page because it\'s well played, I admit, he got strong hands...., and there are several other pianos that have used the same file, so it\'s a good way of getting a feeling of how this piano differs from others.

I\'ll make some softer demos for you!

Originally posted by Silver Octopus:
    As usual the AKG414 mic tends to produce slightly undesirable aspects to my ears since it is a bit too upfront for my normal tastes. Otherwise though, I\'d be quite happy to play this live and for the sort of idiom that it is created for, it stands very well and the majority of \"playing\" venues have sufficient inherrent absorption to counteract any slightly bright character.
    It always mystifies me that anyone can produce different velocities to an accurate degree without some sort of machine (and then one would have extra action noise of the \"playing machine2 to contend with) to precisely hit the note with so many ounces or kilos etc. of attack.
    I know that the likes of Ashkenasy can pretty much control their touch weights down to a very fine degree but short of this, anyone who produces multiple velocities that are even, has to be congratulated.
    Nice work
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree that this piano are upfront as you say, it\'s supposed to be.
    I\'m a bit of an \"ambient-freak\" myself, so when recording this one, I did it in a way that I normaly wouldn\'t, but I recorded it for a purpouse, to be a contemporary piano that would sit well in a mix, therefore it\'s bright, doesn\'t have a overvelming bass and are quite \"close\".

I also admit that getting 12 velocities/note are probably impossible to do just by hand, so yes, there\'s a special device involved here that let\'s me capture samples in different velocities in a very even way.
    I can\'t tell you much about it since it\'s a program that\'s been developed for internal use only and is a bit of a company secret, and the company is not Bigga Giggas..... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , but I can let you know that it isn\'t a mechanical device, so all notes are being played normally, with fingers.

This piano sounds great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] its dry and its bright but i like the sound anyway, hehe

Worra,

I love it!!!! Exactly what is missing in giga piano libraries!!

No kidding, I want it now. I will buy it now.
    Please tell me how.
    I am serious.
    really
    I need it now.

edhamilton@mindspring.com

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by tob:
    This piano sounds great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] its dry and its bright but i like the sound anyway, hehe
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Tjena Tob! (He\'s from Sweden, so he\'ll understand....)

You know I just love to hear a G-Town Grand!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum