• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio 3.0 at winter Namm

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 3.0 at winter Namm

I was told last summer by Tascam that they had plans on showing Gigastudio 3.0 at 2004 winter Namm.
    One of the people on this board in close comunication with Tascam mentioned last fall that as we get closer to Namm more info should be released about 3.0[were is it?]
    Just wanted to start this thread for a place for us to post this info as in comes in, up to the Namm show. The Namm show runs Jan 15-18, were only days away!

P.S.
    I don\'t personally have any new info to post about 3.0 other than I heard it may be sample based. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Next?

Re: Gigastudio 3.0 at winter Namm

Deja vu...(?)

I heard this same speculation last year around this time. Hope it\'s more than a rumor this time.

Wow Hans thanks for the info.
    Ill just copy it here so people dont have to link.
    Here goes

hello,

i just got this response from tascam and i really really sounds like gigastudio is eol for them.

\"With regards to the online forum, TASCAM is not supporting the online forum at this time due to the manpower that is necessary to conduct this type of service. There are no plans to make the forum available in the near future. You may seek product assistance by either calling TASCAM\'s product support department or working with the Giga dealer you purchased your product.\"

so: the nemesys page is nearly dead, many links dont work anymore, tascom just droped gigastudio prices, they dont want to spend time on a gigastudio forum and the german distributer told me that they are really pissed by the nemesys programming performance and that they thought that they are buying something better.

so a couple people sayed here and somewere else that they are beta testing v. 3.0 but i dont relly beleive this after all.
    Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:29 pm

Sapkiller

Location: Copenhagen - Denmark Re: i dont beleive in 3.0 anymore

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Tascam

\"With regards to the online forum, TASCAM is not supporting the online forum at this time due to the manpower that is necessary to conduct this type of service. There are no plans to make the forum available in the near future. You may seek product assistance by either calling TASCAM\'s product support department or working with the Giga dealer you purchased your product.\"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the hell - Bastards! Thats like saying, \'We don\'t want to support
    you anymore - it costs money\' and thats even though forums are a
    cheap way to make support. What arrogance - I can\'t find an Emoticon
    angry enough.

I know Gigastudio has a relatively small customer base, but people have invested quite a lot of money in this monkey - and someone should perhaps remind Tascam that it is the same people who\'s working in studio\'s, on magazines etc. and gets to decide whether Tascam\'s other products are worth investing in!

Tascam - shame on you.

Dave - please tell me this all a bad dream and I will wake up shortly.

sorry for this outcry..but I\'m really p*ssed off.
    /Bjarne
    Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:12 am

David Govett
    Honorary Member

There is a possibility of opening something at the Northern Sounds forum instead later as 3.0 rolls out. Quite simply, the traffic there is much heavier than what they had on their own forum which they had to maintain 24-7. NS forum is already going and maintained and everyone hangs out there already so that would be a better and more efficient option for Giga Forum support. If this comes about, you could see me and Kevin moderating it perhaps. I can\'t promise this of course but we are on board if they wish to do it. Tascam is a bit on the frugal side to say the least. They will probably be here 100 years from now though. They still crank out the occasional reel to reel and still provide some parts and service for a few of them even now as many of the old competing companies from back then are gone. They are however investing good money in the Giga programmers and development at least.

Also, the price drop is likely in preparation for the eventual release of 3.0 Anyone who has the GigaStudio should of course be able to upgrade for a good price. Its just a big blowout before releasing the new stuff. NOT giving up on it.

Also, be sure to check the details on the GigaPulse. Its like a rack of Altverbs in one machine with mic modeling & graphic placement (including pictures) of instruments. That is part of what the programmers have been working on for a while.

Kevin and I will be working the Tascam booth this NAMM show and we expect to be demonstrating GigaStudio 3.0. We have turned down other requests to work other booths to make sure we are there for this big show.

So, wake up, its not as big a nightmare as you thought. There is lots of room for improvement over there though, I won\'t deny that.
    Things aint perfect but they are not that bad either.

Oh yeah, and just a side note, Giga 3.0 is sitting right in front of me right now. (We are doing the manual for it) So, it does exist, I can at least say that much for what its worth. And the polyphony is much better too now.

Hope that clears things up a little.
    Dave
    Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:28 am

Rob Elliott

Ah, come on Davey - give us some more details (the \'teaser\' polyphony comment is killing me!!!!!!)

Rob
    Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:50 pm

Jean

quote:
    Originally posted by David Govett
    Oh yeah, and just a side note, Giga 3.0 is sitting right in front of me right now. (We are doing the manual for it) So, it does exist, I can at least say that much for what its worth. And the polyphony is much better too now.
    Dave

Will it load more patches with the same amount of memory. Pleas say yes.
    Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:10 pm

Alexcremers

quote:
    Originally posted by David Govett

Dave

Cold sweat is dripping from my armpits.

-----------------
    Alex Cremers
    Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:53 pm

peter0302

What is this GigaPulse? Is this software? Realtime? Is it going to be part of Gigastudio? It\'s about freakin time, if so.
    Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:04 pm

David Govett
    Honorary Member

Yes, it is realtime convolution/acoustic modeling software. They can get a bunch of instances of it going at once too so you can place different sections of the orchestra on different spots on the stage and even change the microphones if you like. (The impulses have to be prepared properly of course) They actually remove the original signal of the original microphones and replace it with the new mic impulses. Jim even demonstrated this by placing two impules back to back, one to remove the signal, one to put an impulse of that mic back in and then toggled the bypass button. You can\'t hear the difference! Its pretty cool. The plugin I think is stereo for the time being (VST plugin on PC, perhaps mac later)
    The Giga version will handle surround impulses. They can also model instrument resonances, various mic positions and many other things.

It looks like they will show all this off at the NAMM show.

Later
    Dave

As we get closer to Namm I guess info IS starting to be released.
    Giga will have

1.VST effects capability
    2.More Polyphony

Very cool,I wonder what else?

24-bit sample support is a pretty solid bet.

I\'m guessing that it will be able to use the previous *.gig file format prior to version 3 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ben H

I\'ve seen it

It exists

The question is: \"who cares?\"

The ship sailed on Giga more than a year ago. They may find a way to make themselves relevent again IF they can produce a stable product and IF they can re-establish cred with their previous user base. But at this rate they\'ll simply be \"another player\".

I\'ll be at NAMM so I\'m willing to stand corrected, but at this point I\'m not sure Giga will ever regain its relevance.

> \"The question is: \"who cares?\"\"

That depends on the feature set.

If the Giga-team has developed and patented a killer, next-generation sample paradigm, we\'ll all care. So will NI and Steinberg, as well as the library developers.

If it\'s strongly competitive, but not groundbreaking, many of us will care, but not all.

If it\'s only marginally competitive, well...

We should have a better idea of who cares within three weeks. I\'m hoping for the first scenario. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum