• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Ulitmate piano or Grandioso Steinway?

Share/Bookmark

Ulitmate piano or Grandioso Steinway?

Hello all
    I am trying to make an agonising decision, do I buy the Grandioso Steinway or the Ultimate Piano library. I want a realistic piano for classical music (I am a pianist at the Royal College of Music) but have little experience when it comes to sampled sound. Anyone got any opinions?
    Lloyd

Re: Ulitmate piano or Grandioso Steinway?

Hi, you may perform a search on this forums, there\'s tons of infos and reviews about the best sampled pianos available.
    You said classical, so I bet you want to hear the demos from Michiel Post\'s GRANDIOSO Bosendorfer 290.
    http://www.postaudiomedia.com/

Everybody here agrees that there\'s 3 other great sampled pianos:
    PMI GRANDIOSO Steinway D
    ArtVista MALMSJO
    Bardstow Imperial Bosendorfer
    And some new others to be released soon...

All of these must be way closer to the real thing than the Ultimate Piano Collection.

Noenoeil is right, the Ultimate Piano library by Easy West has become obsolete with the arrival of those libraries like PMI Grandioso series, Bardstown\'s and others..

give them a listen and try to read the most you can on these forums, there are hours of reading I\'m sure.

Best luck,
    Alberto

Originally posted by Alberto R.S.:
    Noenoeil is right, the Ultimate Piano library by Easy West has become obsolete with the arrival of those libraries like PMI Grandioso series, Bardstown\'s and others..

give them a listen and try to read the most you can on these forums, there are hours of reading I\'m sure.

Best luck,
    Alberto
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Ultimate Piano Library is nearly ten years old! It was made when 32Mbs of RAM was the max.! At the time it was \'state of the art\' - now it\'s not.

Consider instead our two newer pianos that are very popular \'Steinway B\' and \'Bosendorfer\'. They were just reviewed in a piano \'shootout\' in an upcoming Electronic Musician feature as two of the best available (and they have some fans here too).

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

I agree with noenoeil on his choices, excluding the Post Grandioso.

I can\'t figure out how to make that library sound like a real piano.

The other two, which I also own, the Malmsjo and the Bosendorfer (Bardstown version), are both very playable right out of the box. Bosendorfer is more universal of the two.

Hope this helps.

-lb

I have the opposite point of view from Little Biscuit. Best out there right now are the Post BOS and the Steinway B. I use both at my site at mp3.com. See if you can tell which is which, and which you prefer. It\'s a hard decision.

J Grant
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

Originally posted by JohnGrant:
    I have the opposite point of view from Little Biscuit. Best out there right now are the Post BOS and the Steinway B. I use both at my site at mp3.com. See if you can tell which is which, and which you prefer. It\'s a hard decision.

J Grant
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">John,

I am the ONLY distributor in the world of the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial, and nowhere in my customer base files do I have your name as a purchaser of the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial, so I find it totally impossible to believe any such statement as this. \"Little Biscuit,\" on the other hand, has both the Bardstown and Post Grandioso instruments.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Of course, every application is different. But with the Post, odd things happen when just playing straight up. The same relative velocity on two adjacent keys on the keyboard often triggers a different layer on each key. You would think this situation would not present a problem with 8 or 16 layers.

I\'m not a GIGA programming expert by any means, so I can only give subjective views at this point. But sometimes its like the \"soft\" sample is triggered on some keys, and the \"loud\" sample is triggered on others. It\'s not a natural sound or feel, that\'s all I\'m saying.

John, did you have to make many adjustments in your MIDI files before rendering to wav? I only listened to \"A little Chopin\", but I hear what sounds like layered samples (which I think you\'ve mentioned before). I also hear the slight tuning mismatch. Not a bad thing necessarily. I layer pianos also, but even still I haven\'t been able to make anything I like with the Post.

Great playing, by the way.

-lb

Go Back to forum