• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: Wave Interference

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Wave Interference

    Hello everybody!

    Here is a percussion sextet I just finished. It was originally meant to be for 7 players, but after making it 3 minutes into the 3:30 ensemble without touching the 7th part, I figured it was a lost cause

    The instruments I used were almost exactly 50/50 between GPO and VDL.

    GPO:
    Vibraphone
    Glockenspiel
    Snare Drum and Triangle

    VDL:
    Timpani
    Marimba 1 & 2

    The piece is entirely in 3/4 time, which until recently, I would've considered unusual for me. It also features a key change - fancy! The score you see in the video is almost exactly the score I used for the audio file (with some minor changes to make it at least somewhat legible), so it definitely needs some cleanup.



    Thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

  2. #2

    Re: Wave Interference

    Michael - This is outstanding! It cast a magical spell that literally gave me shivers. You are such a master with percussion, I could only wish to ever be as agile with it.

    Let me dispense with the inevitable "Harry Potter" comparison - When something has a somewhat mysterious, tinkly quality to it, the movies come to mind, but it's not as if this is actually like anything in the soundtracks. There - I've brought that up and put it to rest. No one else needs to come up with that too-generic a comparison.

    Love it - Keep it coming, Michael.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: Wave Interference

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Michael - This is outstanding! It cast a magical spell that literally gave me shivers. You are such a master with percussion, I could only wish to ever be as agile with it.

    Let me dispense with the inevitable "Harry Potter" comparison - When something has a somewhat mysterious, tinkly quality to it, the movies come to mind, but it's not as if this is actually like anything in the soundtracks. There - I've brought that up and put it to rest. No one else needs to come up with that too-generic a comparison.

    Love it - Keep it coming, Michael.

    Randy
    Hello Randy, thanks for your comment! Honestly, I was afraid certain sections of this would sound too much like Philip Glass more than Harry Potter, but I certainly don't mind the comparison. As corny as it may sound, the Harry Potter theme is what rekindled my interest in writing music. (I made a few feeble attempts at writing when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade...but let's not talk about those things )

    It's ability to capture the entire feel of the books in the first few measures during the Warner Brothers logo on the first movie startled me. I never thought something so simple could have such a profound effect. I never really cared for the movies themselves, but the music is great. I generally don't think my music has John Williams' style, and it is certainly no where near his caliber (which to be honest, isn't my goal when writing), but there is no denying that his music played a huge part in my musical life.

    I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

  4. #4

    Re: Wave Interference

    May I congratulate you with this marvellous piece. Utterly musical and composed (rendered) with love.
    I am not that frequent on this forum, but I would never have forgiven myself having missed this piece.
    You really made the percussion sing.

    Thanks,

    Raymond

  5. #5

    Re: Wave Interference

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    May I congratulate you with this marvellous piece. Utterly musical and composed (rendered) with love.
    I am not that frequent on this forum, but I would never have forgiven myself having missed this piece.
    You really made the percussion sing.

    Thanks,

    Raymond
    Hello Raymond! Thanks so much for your kind words. I am glad you were able to take the time to listen to this piece, and I am even happier to hear that you enjoyed it!

    Thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

  6. #6

    Re: Wave Interference

    Michael,

    You always weave such a mystical tapestry and just like a tapestry, it is tight, splendid with exquisite design, and will hold up for generations to come.

    You really are quite the aficionado of percussion. Like Randy I’m in awe of your talent. I take it you’re a professional percussionist. Was percussion always your main focus in music, even as a kid?

    I love the sound you produce because it is so unique for one thing, and it creates such images in one’s mind as you listen to it. I guess it’s kind of programmatic music without being programmatic if that makes any sense, in other words, it produces images without a definite story line.

    I really don’t hear Harry Potter in this, or Glass, but that’s just me.

    Gosh you should have had those rolls on the marimba on the vibraphone instead and you would have made Randy, oh…so happy!!!!

    Great piece, really enjoyed this one!

    Cass

  7. #7

    Re: Wave Interference

    Percussion... my ultimate weakness in composing. This sounded good and mysterious to me. My problem with percussion is that I don't know how to implement it in my compositions properly. I can sometimes make beats but not the orchestral presentation of percussion unless I am doing a big bang or transition.

    Great work and thanks for sharing!

    Regards,

    Richard

  8. #8

    Re: Wave Interference

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Michael,

    You always weave such a mystical tapestry and just like a tapestry, it is tight, splendid with exquisite design, and will hold up for generations to come.

    You really are quite the aficionado of percussion. Like Randy I’m in awe of your talent. I take it you’re a professional percussionist. Was percussion always your main focus in music, even as a kid?

    Hello Cass! Thanks so much for your kind words. First, I do not consider myself a professional musician of any kind. This is not something I do full-time, and it is not something I plan on ever using to sustain myself financially! However, I do consider percussion to be my primary focus, but it was not always this way. I took piano lessons when I was a kid for about 5 years. I wish I had stuck with it, but my practice ethic left something to be desired! I joined band in middle school (6th grade) and played trumpet for a year. I would like to take a moment to apologize to all those around me who had to listen to that...

    After a year of that, I started percussion. With my experience playing piano, the mallet percussion instruments came somewhat naturally, but I also really enjoyed any sort of battery/auxiliary percussion. Once I made it to my senior year, and joined an orchestra and percussion ensemble in Georgia, I learned to truly appreciate each instrument at the disposal of the percussionist - how a player can spend years learning to improve his or her technique of any instrument, even if it is seemingly mundane as the tambourine or crash cymbals. Consequently, that year was also the first year anything substantial I had written was performed. You could say I enjoyed percussion greatly for years, but it wasn't until that year that I really considered it my passion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    I love the sound you produce because it is so unique for one thing, and it creates such images in one’s mind as you listen to it. I guess it’s kind of programmatic music without being programmatic if that makes any sense, in other words, it produces images without a definite story line.

    I really don’t hear Harry Potter in this, or Glass, but that’s just me.
    I'm glad you found imagery in this ensemble. I know exactly what you mean about it "sort of" being programmatic. Even when I write something I consider to be closer to programmatic, a lot of my music is based around conceptual images rather than a full story. In the description for this youtube video, I posted a link to a video the describes what wave interference actually is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuv6hY6zsd0
    There are some great images in this video that show the results of light-wave interference as well as how that translates to other waves (in this case, ripples in water).

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Gosh you should have had those rolls on the marimba on the vibraphone instead and you would have made Randy, oh…so happy!!!!

    Great piece, really enjoyed this one!

    Cass
    HAHA! I really laughed on this one. There is NOTHING wrong with putting rolls in the vibraphone part, it just didn't fit the style of this ensemble

    Thanks for listening, Cass!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

  9. #9

    Re: Wave Interference

    Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Percussion... my ultimate weakness in composing. This sounded good and mysterious to me. My problem with percussion is that I don't know how to implement it in my compositions properly. I can sometimes make beats but not the orchestral presentation of percussion unless I am doing a big bang or transition.

    Great work and thanks for sharing!

    Regards,

    Richard
    Hello Richard! Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment! I know exactly what you mean about orchestral percussion, and I find myself doing the same thing when I write for orchestra (something I now realize I haven't done in a very long time). It's one thing when you are writing for a percussion ensemble - in which case the percussion IS your orchestra - and something completely different when percussion is just another part of the entire group.

    However, there have been a couple times when writing for orchestra when I've thought - "I'm a percussionist, and remembering how boring it could be as a percussionist in an orchestra at times, I'm going to put some freaking percussion in this! Not only that, but it is going to have an important role!"

    Thanks again for your comments, Richard!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

  10. #10

    Re: Wave Interference

    That's some good listening, Mister Michael! Good job!

    You put my percussion writing to shame because I'm lacking in expertise in that field. Post some more of your creations.

    Best,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •