• Register
  • Help

Topic: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Focus Tower (Imperial)

Share/Bookmark

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Focus Tower (Imperial)

Well, I wanted to do something special, and that was to combine my two favorite libraries in one (Vienna and Garritan). So it has been done! I bring to you all another video game arrangement. This time from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. The arrangement is from one of my favorite video games tunes, "Focus Tower." I feel that Vienna and Garritan make a real good team! The thing is both are really dry orchestral libraries so you can match pretty well!

Libraries and Instruments Used:

- Violin Section - Legato and Staccato (Vienna)
    - Viola Section - Legato (Vienna)
    - Cello Section - Legato and Staccato (Vienna)
    - Full Strings Staccato and Pizzicato (Vienna)
    - Trombone (GPO)
    - French Horn (GPO)
    - Timpani (GPO)
    - Orchestral Percussion (GIO)

Regards,

Richard

Re: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Focus Tower (Imperial)

More fun game music - Sounds really good, Richard. Glad you took the plunge to get bold with your combination of sound sources. It's really much easier to use instruments from different companies than people sometimes think. As you point out, when the Libraries have dry samples so the user can control the reverb, that makes the task even more straight-forward.

Good work, lad!

Randy

Thanks Randy! I have been focusing a lot on the Vienna instruments for bit these last few weeks, I also got their special editions winds too the other week. I have been playing around with both garritan and vienna just in practice composing. Both libraries have their uniqueness. For example, that solo cello in GPO (2nd one) is really piercing and will set moods a bit differently then the vienna one, but again... the dryness of both these libraries make Vienna and Garritan really great to combine. I can't wait to get the full use of IO back. IO is the king for composing for my LOE project. Those layered sounds and preset ensembles are sooooooo important. My goal for LOE isn't to score for big expressive sound but for general retro game scoring similar to SNES or old PC Games (Ultima VII and Ultima VIII style). Not much dynamics were used in these pieces, the main thing was short melodies that stuck in your head. My expressive and dynamic compositions are going to be mainly for important scenes, main themes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    More fun game music - Sounds really good, Richard. Glad you took the plunge to get bold with your combination of sound sources. It's really much easier to use instruments from different companies than people sometimes think. As you point out, when the Libraries have dry samples so the user can control the reverb, that makes the task even more straight-forward.

Good work, lad!

Randy

Hello Richard!

I like the successful melding you were able to accomplish here! This is classic Nintendo dungeon music. Not being well-versed in the Final Fantasy series, I don't know what game/console this is from, but the music is very similar to Ganon's Castle from A Link to the Past on SNES.

I really enjoyed the music, and even though I've never heard this theme before, it certainly brought back feelings of nostalgia!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Thanks Michael!

I know I have played and beaten Zelda III - Link to the Past. I forgot the music from Ganon's Castle. I will have to youtube that. Mystic quest was kind of a spin off of the main FF series, but it was a pretty good game and had some wicked music. The battle themes are completely awesome. Thanks for the listen and feedback.

Regards,

Richard

Go Back to forum