• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Air Force One Demo on VSL

Share/Bookmark

Air Force One Demo on VSL

Hi Everyone, I am looking into getting the vsl lib. even more now that I heard their new Air Force One Demo. Is this the ultimate movie score mockup ever?

Re: Air Force One Demo on VSL

Nope. Not even close. I think its the same problem with all the Vienna demos. They are clear in sound, but lack life. The demo here is beautyful in regards of sounding. But it totally lacks life. Just sounds like the tunes have to wait until they die. Its actually strange. With such a good sound - so fine sounding horns -biting and all - that it still lacks life. Strange. Weird. Absurd!?

Yours - Chris -

You can dig it here. http://vsl.co.at

\"You can dig it here. http://vsl.co.at\"

Interesting that both the English and German links lead to a blank page. What demos?

Have patience, Doyle (and turn on Flash)-took about 45 sec. to load.

Dasher

Before you unnecessarily criticize this excerpt, some facts are in order. First, this score was provided for benchmarking purposes only. However, at AES, all the VSL demos, equipment, booth, etc., were tied up in the dock strikes in Los Angeles. This particular work was done to meet a crisis situation with .gig files that weren\'t even finished.

Given what resources he had at that time, Herb did a great job.

But that was October. Now it\'s November. And while there is very little I can say about the library right now, what I can tell you is that the particular beta group I\'m heading is absolutely blown away by what we\'re hearing. Words like \"astonished\", \"amazing\", \"unbelievable\", \"incredible\", and \"wow\" constantly come up in our conversations and written reports.

VSL is a great work, teeming with life.

Clean out your ears, Lewis! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And download the WAV, not the mp3. 128k though? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Come on guys, at least 160 - we\'ll wait the extra time for it to download!

The Air Force one demo is fantastic, I compared it directly with the real performance and its pretty much there, especially the brass. There\'s a weird metallic sound to the strings though, which I thought was because of the 128k mp3 but it was still there in the WAV. The only problem with this mockup is its all too close. It needs to run through Altiverb with the GOS impulse or something, to get everthing properly in place.

But lacks life? No way. I think this is the problem I described in a thread while ago, a disease if you will, where if we know its made of samples we can\'t help but find faults with it when in reality there are none. Prior to this demo I was convinced the VSL could not achieve the film score sound but I take it all back now. All it needed was an actual film score mockup.

Still not keen on the strings though...

Has anyone checked out the actual prices of these things? They\'re _very_ reasonable. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just cleaned my ears and the result is still the same. Basically it just sounds like instruments waiting to die. Maybe its the composition itself - but I somehow feel the instruments are just hanging there. I wanna hear some fast phrasework. Do a Williams or Gabriel Yared mockup thats the only real proof of the library.

If ANY library could do a decent mockup of \"Crazy Tom\" from Talented Mr. Ripley I would be convinced. But this is not even close. Sounds like an unenthusiastic orchestra rehearsel.

Originally posted by peter269:
    But that was October. Now it\'s November. And while there is very little I can say about the library right now, what I can tell you is that the particular beta group I\'m heading is absolutely blown away by what we\'re hearing. Words like \"astonished\", \"amazing\", \"unbelievable\", \"incredible\", and \"wow\" constantly come up in our conversations and written reports.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Peter,

I know you can\'t say much, but can you tell us if you know that any other demos might be coming soon? I guess many of us would be interested in hearing some known classical stuff.

Originally posted by Lewis:
    Nope. Not even close. I think its the same problem with all the Vienna demos. They are clear in sound, but lack life. The demo here is beautyful in regards of sounding. But it totally lacks life. Just sounds like the tunes have to wait until they die. Its actually strange. With such a good sound - so fine sounding horns -biting and all - that it still lacks life. Strange. Weird. Absurd!?

Yours - Chris -

You can dig it here. http://vsl.co.at
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I tend to agree Lewis, in this instance. Not the \"not even close\" part. It is close. But there is certainly an emotional edge that is lacking. I have no idea if it is the samples or the realization, but I agree that the demo lacks the proper emotional lift.

Based on one of the explanations in this thread, I suspect that the problem is from a hurried realization moreso than the actual samples.

Nice sounding library, though.

For me, the test on whether to invest in this library or the Quantum Leap one will come down to saving time. Whichever one can deliver more time to my personal life, will be the one that gets my check.

That...and the flexibility of converting to another format if I choose.

I dont think its a very representative mockup. Its absolutely one of the easiest pieces to do - due to its simple structure. On the other hand its a hardarse because you need TEMPER in such a piece - and temper is what it lacks.

The library need to shows off its force in more fastpaced works. Everybody can hide behind reverbs and long tunes - but can it give us the power? Can it recreate the glance and glisses of a real orchestra. The only answer is a mockup of something fast and powerfull.

I still scream for a remake of Gabriel Yared\'s masterpiece for Talent Mr. Ripley - track called: \"Crazy Tom\". Absolutely one of the best soundtracks ever done.

Love - Chris

Go Back to forum