• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria and Volume

Share/Bookmark

Aria and Volume

Here's something that's been bugging me for a awhile: the Aria player automatically rests volume to zero. Very irritating when you are, say, working in the console view of Sonar, testing different reverb sends, and in order to hear your Aria instrument, you have to open the Aria player and turn its volume up. I'm sure this has been covered before, and I know that the manual says to "record a little music first or you won't be able to hear anything!" I've never been able to figure out what that means. I don't have a mod wheel on my midi keyboard, either. It's very ancient, but it gets the job done. Any tricks that can be used here?

Re: Aria and Volume

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Here's something that's been bugging me for a awhile: the Aria player automatically rests volume to zero. Very irritating when you are, say, working in the console view of Sonar, testing different reverb sends, and in order to hear your Aria instrument, you have to open the Aria player and turn its volume up. I'm sure this has been covered before, and I know that the manual says to "record a little music first or you won't be able to hear anything!" I've never been able to figure out what that means. I don't have a mod wheel on my midi keyboard, either. It's very ancient, but it gets the job done. Any tricks that can be used here?
    Well I'm glad you asked, Michael - You've hit on two of The Top Ten ??s that come up about using ARIA in Sonar. Happily, the answers are simple:

--In Sonar, and I think in all DAW software programs, the host, Sonar's MIDI sliders control those in ARIA. There's a way to disengage them, but it's easy to accidentally re-engage them -So, you simply set all your ARIA fader levels with those controls in the track headers in Sonar. The same holds true for pan. If you keep trying to set volume and pan in ARIA, your settings will constantly be erased by the settings in Sonar.

--You also want to permanently un-check in Options, "Zero controllers." By default that is on. The result is that every time you stop, all controllers are re-set to Zero, and you can't hear anything.

--What is meant by "record a bit at the head of tracks or you won't hear anything," is that you need to have some CC1 or 11 data at the start, or you'll also hear nothing.

--Keep in mind that the MIDI sliders, CC7, is just for setting the relative balance between the instruments. Generally that stays at one level throughout a piece. CC1 or 11 (they're interchangeable) is the dynamic instrument volume that fluctuates almost constantly over time in a piece.

That should do you.

Randy

Thanks for all the helpful tips, Randy. I think I've got it now. I unchecked the zero options controller. Also, I made sure that my first CC data entry was at ms. 1, not where the instrument actually comes in. That seems to have solved it. So simple, and yet elusive...I guess I'll just never learn to think like a machine.

LOL! Not sure, however, if I find this more frightening or humorous!

Go Back to forum