• Register
  • Help

Topic: Apocálypsis - the next installment

Share/Bookmark

Apocálypsis - the next installment

I have been working hard at getting this piece done, but it has been a while since I posted so I decided to put it up here despite it not quite being done. I have reached the 2:00 minute mark and it is nearing completion. Besides lots of great Garritan instruments being used, I have found the Piccolo Trumpet is an amazing solo instrument for this kind of music.

I plan to add some more flute to the end and write in a dramatic ending.

Jim

Apocálypsis

Re: Apocálypsis - the next installment

Jim,

Much enjoyed! You create a really enticing atmosphere here. Love all the solo instruments sharing the limelight against the backdrop of the rhythmic percussion and pad sounding strings. The sound quality is superb. I'm always interested in what reverb setting people use. The reverb you have chosen for this piece fits like a glove.

Yes, the piccolo trumpet works quite well in this mixture of instrument although I would bring it forward a bit or increase its gain because I had a hard time hearing it, but that could be due to the fact that I'm listening to this with headphones.

Great track. Looking forward to hearing it again when it is finished.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Jim,

Much enjoyed! You create a really enticing atmosphere here. Love all the solo instruments sharing the limelight against the backdrop of the rhythmic percussion and pad sounding strings. The sound quality is superb. I'm always interested in what reverb setting people use. The reverb you have chosen for this piece fits like a glove.

Yes, the piccolo trumpet works quite well in this mixture of instrument although I would bring it forward a bit or increase its gain because I had a hard time hearing it, but that could be due to the fact that I'm listening to this with headphones.

Great track. Looking forward to hearing it again when it is finished.

Cass
    Thanks Cass,

On the reverb, for pre-mixing, I use built-in reverb based on grouping of sound. I have grown less fond of routing VST outputs to a reverb send. So, I used some PerfectSpace, Aria Reverb, and ENGINE2 reverb.

I will go back a revisit the trumpet mix as it is a bit light. I think I can have it break through on the next mix.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    ...On the reverb, for pre-mixing, I use built-in reverb based on grouping of sound. I have grown less fond of routing VST outputs to a reverb send. So, I used some PerfectSpace, Aria Reverb, and ENGINE2 reverb...
    Jim, you never cease to simultaneously surprise, entertain, and frankly astonish me with your output. DANG you do good stuff!

Even though this has aural elements we're all familiar with from prominent use in current soundtracks and New Age instrumentals, you manage to make them sound fresh, because you use them all with true distinction.

Look at the quote from you I pulled out - I hope you see my response and explain in more detail what you mean precisely, because I'm not following how you've stated it there. The "built in reverb"--? Which is that? Based on grouping--yes, but without using Sends to a Reverb Bus.--- And yet you used three different reverbs on this--How did you use them, if not with Sends?-- One of the ARIA reverbs is in the list - which one, Ambience or Convolution?-- and how did you use it without using the Sends in Aria? How did you use the other two reverbs listed without Sends? Do you mean you strapped them to individual tracks, or perhaps group buses, and used the Wet/Dry controls?--which is actually the same thing as using Sends, since it's determining a mix of effected signal with original in basically the same way as Sends.

I'm perplexed - and look forward to a possible elucidation.

Meanwhile-love the music.

PS - DEFINITELY bring that trumpet forward in the mix. It's just a bit low, maybe with too much reverb. You said you find the piccolo trumpet an amazing trumpet, and it sounded like you meant it was from a non-Garritan Library, and that you didn't use the piccolo in GPO? What did you use?

Randy

Well thanks for all the kind words Randy. On the trumpet, definitely Garritan. I forget if it is the SAM brass or regular.

On the reverb, all I meant was that I don't route the VST output to a bus and then to a reverb all the time. I use the built in sends as you said. The CPU load is much lower and I can hear the effects while I write. For this kinds of music, it is easier to listen to the reverb as I compose. For example in the choir parts I need to listen to the reverb so I could get the cross fading correct.

On the groupings I use reverb per VST that will let me change the reverb depending on the instrument group. This let's fake placement per group without the big expensive reverb modules like altiverb which maybe someday I'll get. No big mysteries here.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Well thanks for all the kind words Randy. On the trumpet, definitely Garritan. I forget if it is the SAM brass or regular.On the reverb, all I meant was that I don't route the VST output to a bus and then to a reverb all the time. I use the built in sends as you said. The CPU load is much lower and I can hear the effects while I write. For this kinds of music, it is easier to listen to the reverb as I compose. For example in the choir parts I need to listen to the reverb so I could get the cross fading correct.

On the groupings I use reverb per VST that will let me change the reverb depending on the instrument group. This let's fake placement per group without the big expensive reverb modules like altiverb which maybe someday I'll get. No big mysteries here.

Jim
    Thanks for the reply, Jim - I have a perpetual interest in how people are putting their projects together, it's always interesting to me. So thanks for the greater detail.

Visualizing how things work without bouncing tracks to audio always gets a bit fuzzy for me, since I always bounce before mixing. It can basically be the same, adding FX to the "blank" audio tracks, grouping into buses, using Sends etc. I really admire that some people can get such good mixes that way, because I really can't. On the rare occasion I work that way due to a time restraint, I'm always unhappy that I don't know how to get a mix as clean and tight without bouncing. I get lost without dealing with solid audio clips that I can see, slice and dice as needed etc.

So, in the workflow you've outlined here, the reverb you're talking about being "...per VST that will let me change the reverb depending on the instrument group..." -You're talking about having the entire signal go through the reverb, and then that plugin's controls are used for the wet/dry balance, right? Or you're using an Altiverb-like plugin intended to be used at 100% wet, with the mix of room and instrument being part of the preset?

In any case - I know what you mean, that it can be helpful to hear reverb while composing. I usually work dry, since considerations about how cross fades etc work and interact with the reverb is something I'm concerned about later when mixing the audio- But once in awhile I'll temporarily turn on the Convolution in ARIA so I can hear some processed signal while I work. Like you said, it can be helpful sometimes, and at the very least, it can be more fun!

Thanks again for the details - AH, a Garritan piccolo trumpet - Yes, they do sound great. They have a bright, clean sound that I wish all the trumpets had, even though regular trumpets in real life are actually more mellow than what I'm usually wanting.

Randy

Hello Jim!

I am glad I caught this! I really love this style of music - the percussion is great. I agree, the piccolo trumpet makes a great addition to the orchestration.

I'm also glad to see you posted it before completion. It is always interesting to hear a piece of work that is unfinished. I always wonder what other composers find as a good stopping point, or where they get stuck, and it is always nice to hear how it is completed.

Thanks for sharing this, I'm looking forward to hearing it completed!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum