• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yo how do you initialize a new HD yo?

Share/Bookmark

Yo how do you initialize a new HD yo?

This is the first time I\'ve installed a HD in a Windows machine. It\'s showing up fine in Administrative tools->computer management->storage->disk management, but it\'s still unallocated. How do I un-unallocate the bitch? I thought I told the computer to initialize it somewhere along the way, but the computer seems to disagree.

TIA

Re: Yo how do you initialize a new HD yo?

Right click on the drive in disk management, and choose, Format : and i suggest NTFS file system.

Thanks!

Now I have another question: I need to know whether to use the default block size of a custom size. There\'s another of these drives (a Raptor) on the machine, and I want to do whatever was done to that one. Where do you check the block size of a drive that\'s up and running?

Nick,

use all of the defaults. Don\'t screw around with custom sector clusters. 4k I think is default.. Format it to the NSTF and not FAT and click OK all the way..

Alan Russell

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If this drive is for streaming samples, you can actually improve the performance with larger than standard block sizes. 64k blocks fill the buffer faster, with less seeking, than 4k blocks.

If you go to ProRec.com, and go to the downloads section, you can download a utility there called DiskBench, written by one of our technology editors, Jose Catena. It measures audio-centric streaming capability. As long as you\'re setting up from scratch, you may as well use it to optimize the streaming performance on your machine while you\'ve got an empty disk.

By the way, yo yo, I like your new young hip rapper lingo. I\'m making gang signs in your honor.

Koolio. Thanks for all the info.

I was advised to use the defaults by People Who Know Things, but I was wondering whether larger blocks wouldn\'t be better. On the other hand, the performance difference between HFS and HFS+ (smaller blocks) on Macs is pretty small if the software is set up to deal with it. In the early days of HFS+, Pro Tools would take a longer time to play if you used HFS+ (because it was loading its play buffers), but they\'ve since coded around that.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    you can download a utility there called DiskBench, written by one of our technology editors, Jose Catena.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The guy is a genius!. You have no idea what a help that piece of software has been over the years. Bruce, please give him a big thankyou from me!.

I didn\'t find DiskBench, but my first question is whether you have to format, run DB to check performance, format, run DB...? Formatting over and over scares me, somehow.

No biggie to reformat as many times as you like.

Here\'s the deal with \"people who know things\" and cluster sizes. Most PWKT in PC-land know things about PCs in general, not things about streaming audio. The advantage of small cluster sizes is that the OS is designed to speak to **applications** and to optimize their loading into memory in those increments. This was the presumably \"big deal\" several Microsoft OS generations back.

But the drive is going to read a cluster at a time, no matter what size you tell them to be, so for streaming audio files, humongous compared to the largest app files, you\'re going to get a performance bump by using larger clusters...less seeking to get the same data. For Giga, which is seeking like mad, fewer seeks means more efficiency (for multitrack apps as well).

The only disadvantage to larger cluster sizes is that you\'ll lose a little bit of overall disk space (since larger clusters occasionally have to \"waste\" some space).

It\'s not going to hurt to use the defaults. You WILL get a bit better performance with larger clusters.

DiskBench is currently not there!! I have no idea what is up with that. I\'ll e-mail Rip and get back with you.

Go Back to forum