• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Grand

Share/Bookmark

The Grand

Can anyone here comment on The Grand, Wizoos piano sample for Steinberg\'s Halion? I actually heard it myself at the NAMM show year before last as Steinberg was demoing it. And there, I thought it sounded just awful; annoyingly harsh, cold etc. But that was over a questionable PA with lots of backround noise.

I continue to search for a piano to suit my needs and just read several good reviews. I dont trust the source of the reviews as much as I do the opinions here.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Re: The Grand

I believe the biggest problem with that sample is the quality of the instrument source. Its just not a great piano to start with. There are some neat little features included however, particularly the hammer-off sound when you release a key.

I think you\'d be better of with one of Kip\'s/Michiel\'s samples.

Is it really for HALion? I thought it was a VSTi all of its own. From what I\'ve heard of the demos its well recorded but the piano sound has no character at all. Out of all the digital pianos, this is by far the most \'digital\'. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Why don\'t you get the Bardstown Bosendorfer? Its a beautiful piano sound with lots of character and is available in native 24bit HALion format.

The Grand is a VSTi - it uses the same audio engine as HALion though.

I agree that the source material is not brilliant - it doesn\'t say in the manual, but I think it\'s a Kawai.

There are some useful features, such as the ability to alter the tuning from well-tempered to traditional concert tuning at the touch of a button; editing velocity curves with a graphic interface, etc., but the bottom line is, IMHO it\'s nowhere near the libraries mentioned above for character and realism.

There was talk a while ago of new audio data being released for The Grand, which could give it a new lease of life. No news yet though.

I\'m currently mainly using the Post Bosendorfer 16 layer dry, which sounds great with \'Piano Hall\' on the new Classic Verb for Powercore.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE
    Ive been considering the Post Bos and am ambivilent. I\'m looking for something without all the ambience that that and other libraries seem to have. Ive been using Giga Piano and I think it sounds just horrible....ok on the high end, awful in the mids and too growley in the lows. I need something without so much of that concert grand sound in the low end, with sparkling high, clear and not complex middle, without it sounding like its in a concert hall. Like a Steinway B in a smallish room but without the mics stuck down the instruments throat that captures all the keyboard action sound. All that sounds just so unnatural to me... and it is. You dont hear all that stuff live unless you stick your head under the soundboard. I just want a pure and simple piano for jazz and pop. And I dont want the sort of sound that some people here seem to crave that recorded sharp and bright so that it will cut through the mix.

The post bos does come with dry patches. I find that I prefer them, although it can sound good to mix in a little of the wet samples( this is a modwheel control on some patches ). If you play the dry samples with a room reverb of some kind it does sound fairly close and there are not the close mic artifacts you refer to ( at least not to my ears ).
    Duncan

Thanks Duncan.
    Jim

Go Back to forum