• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vladimir Cosma's Rabbi Jacob Symphonic Suite for concert band Grade 5

Share/Bookmark

Vladimir Cosma's Rabbi Jacob Symphonic Suite for concert band Grade 5

Hi everyone,

Here is "Rabbi Jacob Symphonic Suite for concert band Grade 5" written and arranged by Vladimir Cosma in 1973 for the french comedy "Les aventures de Rabbi Jacob" with Louis De Funès.

It's massively using Garritan's libraries (GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, Steinway), WIVI and QL Spaces for the reverb.

You can listen to the piece here:
    https://app.box.com/s/7og3syg70rmaxax81ls4

Any constructive comments are welcome.

I hope you'll like the way I made it.

Enjoy.

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: Vladimir Cosma's Rabbi Jacob Symphonic Suite for concert band Grade 5

Fred! I find your realization of this symphonic Klezmer composition to be nothing short of astonishing. I know you've been working on this for time, stretching beyond what you even thought you were capable of doing - You must take an extended bow as I lead us in a loudly cheering standing ovation.

All those tricky rhythms, bending notes, all those uniquely Klezmer inspired details are simply sparkling in this. And you've also managed to give the Garritan Libraries one of the most outstanding demonstrations in recent memory.

I really can't get over how great this is! I hope EVERYONE on the Forum manages to hear this.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

It has been indeed a lot of work to recreate this master piece as it took me several months of work to build it and I'm really glad you liked it.

I was not familiar with Klezmer but I think I have finally handled it correctly. The rhythmics are crazy and very rich in sounds and styles. There are a lot of falls, glissandi etc. This piece gave me the opportunity to explore deep inside Garritan's libraries and I took a great pleasure to do it.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Fred,

This is astonishing! I'm right with Randy on saying this is probably the best Garritan product production I have ever heard and even ellipses most expensive libraries out there. Your sonic brilliance and clarity here is off the charts. I'm not familiar with the piece, but boy, what a lively complex number. Just wanted you to know how much I've enjoyed this post of yours.

I'd be interested to know what mastering techniques you used to achieve this chestnut. Not in detail, just general...like did you use ARIA reverb or another convolution plugin, and what other if any, plugins you utilized in this mastering.

The only weak spot for me personally in this immaculate rendering, is when the trumpet (cornet?) in the middle of the piece starts doing the Spanish type runs and virtuosic/acrobatic grace note rampage. It seemed a little too far back on the stage to me and should be brought in a bit closer, but just a smidge. All the very fast notes somewhat get blurred and lost in the performance and it felt to disconnected from the rest of the band. But this is a minor quibble.

All the stellar work you did paid off,...and then some!

Cass

Hi Cass,

Thanks for your words. I'm glad you enjoyed my work.

I enter the notes one by one in Logic using the mouse. I draw the breath curves and other CCs with the mouse until I get what I want. I used to use an EWI to analyze the CCs used in Aria. Now, I do all with the mouse. It's a laborious process but it gives good results. The project contains 116 tracks.

The reverb is the one in Aria (large concert hall) and I use QL Spaces as a global convolution.

The center part is Klezmer, that is yiddish, not spanish.

I hope I answered your question.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Fred,

Short note, Thanks for the follow through on all the info I asked about. Much appreciated!!

Also thanks for setting me straight on the Klezmer sound. Very special inflection and style. Like it very much. I'll have to find more examples of it to listen to.

Cass

Hi Fred,This is by far the best Garritan orchestral piece that I've ever heard. Sublime music, rhythms, orchestration, instrumental effects... Nice room setting as well (convolution). I don't have so much time to spend on the forum lately, but this was more than worth the while!Congratulations with that huge effort and the result of it!Max

@Cass: you're welcome. If you wish more information, just ask. I have nothing to hide and I don't bite.

@Max: Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate you took these 6'40 to listen to this piece. It has been a lot of work. It took me about 5 months of work to build it. I'm glad you liked it.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Fantastic render! The soundstage/positioning/reverb was really quite impressive.

Curious which of the WIVI instruments you are making heavier use of. Always thought that library would work with with the EWI.

I have also found studding the CC curves produced by the EWI helpful for drawing realistic CC's with the mouse. I have also found the mouse very helpful for correcting my bad EWI playing.

Much enjoyed! The time you have poured into this has payed off. I'm sure what you've learned from this exercise will pay off big time in your future endeavors.

Hi Daniel,

I'm glad you liked my work.

Garritan libraries are used from the first note to the last one. It's quiet complex to explain shortly how I have made my environment.

Wivi is just for the solo players of groups blent with Garritan's groups of instruments. So, for 1 group of Garritan instrument, I have a wivi solo player. For example, for the clarinets, the first plyaer is wivi, and the group is Garritan. I have 3 of wivi solo Bb clarinets and 4 groups of Garritan Bb clarinets. The 4th group is here in case of divisi.

Same for the other groups of instruments from euphoniums to flutes. And all is a question of balance. Wivi must not push Garritan, Garritan must not push wivi.

All tracks are worked separately with the same level of attention. All is made with the mouse only.

All orchestral effects have been programmed tracks by tracks, that means, falls, glissando (for harps, saxes, clarinets, bassoons, trombones, etc.), Klezmer style and effects, are fully programmed. No dedicated samples has been used. The effects "are here" because of the massive number of instruments.

Working this way gives a real impression of orchestral music.

I hope I answered your question.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast