• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Miniatures of Vancouver BC

Share/Bookmark

Arrow The Miniatures of Vancouver BC

Hi all,

The other afternoon, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum, (this one, not the Roman one). I got diverted by an email message alert. That email was the catalyst for this piece.

A very good friend of mine who lives in Vancouver BC (Canada) wanted me to write him a small collection of piano pieces so he could present them at a musical party he was going to attend next month.

His only guidelines were that the pieces (collection) couldn’t be over one page long, not be over 5 minutes in length total, and that they should not be to advance , but not too easy either. In other words, (in his words, not mine) something a guy who plays for fun at the piano now and then, could learn in a couple weeks.” Well that really explained the compositional requirements quite succinctly wouldn’t you say. LOL

Well I guess I did okay because he liked them but his only negative comment was, “It’s awfully small print size!” Well what do you expect if it has to fit on ONE page! I really had to squeeze it!

Anyway, this set of miniatures has delayed me on my quest to finish my piano collection (Week Effort Collection) but in a good way. When I can find the time, I’ll have to come back to writing some small piano collections like this one, because it was actually a lot of fun to do and very gratifying, and a nice breath of fresh air from all the intense effort required in advance piano writing.

Gilford street is one of those indelible memories of “a fun time” I had years ago on that street with a group of rowdy friends.

Granville is a marvelous market place (island) in Vancouver where one can find almost anything! (I’ll let your imagination take over!) [ I also confess, I had the Randy Bowser syndrome. I originally wrote the score with scads of triplets (in 4/4 time) until I change the time signature to 6/8. Some of us don’t learn very quickly.]

English bay walk near Stanley Park is a delightful sojourn anytime of day.

And Van Dusen gardens is a gorgeous garden that’s not really known to the tourists but mostly a well-kept secret for Vancouverites. The middle section of the piece has a downward spiraling line, which represents kids I saw rolling down the grassy hills of Van Dusen. And the “Amen” cadence at the end came across as a nice way to conclude this miniature set. Enjoy!

Cass Garritan Authorized Steinway under lid patch

Gilford St. Beat Music
    Gilford ST. Beat Score
    Granville Rag music
    Granville Rag score
    Twilight on English Bay Music
    Twilight on English Bay Score
    Van Dusen Gardens Music
    Van Dusen Score

Re: The Miniatures of Vancouver BC

Rushing to be the first to respond, Canadian, eijh?
    Not to hurt the feelings of others posting, but lately the new postings were scarce, so when I saw Cas, I jumped on, and of course you never disappoint, I love all the pieces. I love your chords, your power, your taste,your talent, all.
    My favored one is the twilight, but found myself tapping my foote on the others also.

Thanks for posting them...

Ted

Cass! What a great origin for these pieces - Very fortunate for your friend that he knows such a talented composer!

Now - Before listening, I opened a blank document, ready to write reactions to each piece - but my goodness, how many times can I expect you to read, "Superb! Amazing!"--superlatives like that are all that I'm able to respond with -So roll a big group of superlatives up in a big glowing ball and catch it - They're all yours.

Absolutely divine music - !!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Rushing to be the first to respond, Canadian, eijh?
    Not to hurt the feelings of others posting, but lately the new postings were scarce, so when I saw Cas, I jumped on, and of course you never disappoint, I love all the pieces. I love your chords, your power, your taste,your talent, all.
    My favored one is the twilight, but found myself tapping my foote on the others also.

Thanks for posting them...

Ted
    Always wonderful to hear from you Ted. I always consider you one of my ardent loyal supporters. I write to release intense feelings inside myself. The feelings change from day to day so I never know what is going to come out of me next. These were simple, light hearted pieces. Not meant to make a big splash. So I'm glad you can still relate to them.
    I hope your foot has now simmered down to appropriate neural responses by now. Hard to walk and tap at the same time. I was never good at that "pat the head and rub the tummy" thing; definitely a single tasking guy! lol

Take care,
    Cass

Smile Re: The Miniatures of Vancouver BC

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Cass! What a great origin for these pieces - Very fortunate for your friend that he knows such a talented composer!

Now - Before listening, I opened a blank document, ready to write reactions to each piece - but my goodness, how many times can I expect you to read, "Superb! Amazing!"--superlatives like that are all that I'm able to respond with -So roll a big group of superlatives up in a big glowing ball and catch it - They're all yours.

Absolutely divine music - !!

Randy
    As you know Randy, I love writing about my experiences in music, my diary of sorts. I've been fortunate in my lifetime to travel a lot, have lots of colorful people as my acquaintances , bizarre happenings (being in the middle of a tornadoes, being at Mt ST. Helens when it blew, happen to be at Portland Oregon in (1980 ? with the total solar eclipse, 7.5 earthquake, trapped in a forest fire, and on and on. Yes I have a lot more to write about!!

And now I finally thought I saw my first HUGE meteor traversing the sky last night only to find out it was your big glowing fire ball flinging itself towards me. Sorry.....didn't catch it but I at least caught your intention!.. Thanks so much my friend for responding to these simple innocuous type creations. I enjoyed them, but wasn't sure anyone else would.

My best,
    Cass

Just wonderful.

I especially love the rag and the twilight piece.

Twilight has a beautiful haunting melody and structure. Almost cinematic...wonderful chord changes.

Your skills at piano composition are astounding.

Have you considered creating albums with your music, or even offering tracks for royalty free sale?
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Just wonderful.

I especially love the rag and the twilight piece.

Twilight has a beautiful haunting melody and structure. Almost cinematic...wonderful chord changes.

Your skills at piano composition are astounding.

Have you considered creating albums with your music, or even offering tracks for royalty free sale?
    Thanks for the kind words Graham. You hit the nail on the head here. I don't write pianisticly but rather orchestrally. I seldom use the flourishes, arpeggios, fast scale like runs you usually associate with the instrument. I hear the piano as an orchestra and hence write that way for it.

I am putting together an "album" of my piano music by the way. It will include this small miniature collection. I'm not sure what you meant by offering tracks for royalty free sale? Do you mean that you sell the rights once for one lump sum and do not collect royalties there after and purchaser can use the piece as many times and in any way they like?

That would be fine, but I'm not sure how you go about that. Where do you find these type of potential buyers?

Anyway, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Cass

Wow! I love them all equally!

What a fine music creator you are, Mister Cass. In this quartet your progressions are exquisite and the uses of tempi changes are great. The tunes themselves are not chopped liver!

The piano sounds incredibly realistic. Were these live preformances?

Thanks very much for posting.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hello Cass!

I really enjoyed these short pieces. Your insight into how you perceive the piano when composing was interesting as well. You have great skill writing solos - something I've always found difficult. I agree with Larry, and I think it goes with all of your other piano rendering, the realism on this is astounding! It is difficult to imagine this being played on anything other than a full concert Grand. The GAS certainly sounds impressive here!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Wow! I love them all equally!

What a fine music creator you are, Mister Cass. In this quartet your progressions are exquisite and the uses of tempi changes are great. The tunes themselves are not chopped liver!

The piano sounds incredibly realistic. Were these live performances?

Thanks very much for posting.

Best,

Larry
    I am so elated that my little tunes are NOT chopped liver, which I despise , primarily because I was forced to eat it once a week growing up. lol

Seriously, thanks Larry for your insight, .......keen as usual. I did try some different harmonic sequences and cadences I hadn't used before. These were short enough so I felt I could experiment.

I have spent a lot of time over these past few months to get the GAS piano to sound realistic. Glad you approve. And yes, these are live performances. I played them into Cubase using my Korg 88 midi board which I've had now for 13 years. I suspect I'll have to get a new keyboard soon. Having any electronics last that long in this day of age is pretty much unheard of.

Thanks again my friend for your input.

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast