• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Understanding VSL Legato Tool

Share/Bookmark

Re: Understanding VSL Legato Tool

Hi Joanne.

Here\'s a short clip of just a solo \"porta\" string (no expression or volume added, just played).

STRING SOUND.......

The legato works automatically. I tend to use the \"portamento\" patches the most. It\'s worth 3 grand for that alone IMO.

I\'ll let one of the techy dudes explain it better. I don\'t really know what it does, I just use the thing. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

KID-

Pretty good Sharmy, for a non-techie.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW-- Happy Holidays!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That little demo that kid-surf posted, as simple and straight forward as it is, is pretty amazing.
    As impressive as the big official demos are, just hearing a short, exposed line like this sells me on the lib. more. I can more readily hear the possibilities.

Just to clarify, Craig and Kid, this is part of the Performance set or a tool/samples that you use/find in the Cube set?

techinically there is a set of 16 key switches in the gig file, each having a mapping of different sets of \"to note\" samples (an octave up and an octave down, so there are some samples mapped to outside the range of the instrument to make for more than 16 dimensions).

What you as the user do is, load up the instrument, and load/setup up the tool with the correct settings (there are presets for each instrument), and midi routing. Then you play the instrument like you normally would. The tool takes care of selecting the correct sample to be played auto matically.

It \"Chooses\" the correct sample based on a few things

What note was previously played before the new note

The new note

and how much time has passed between the previous note and the new note.

For instance, if I play C3, a \"standard\" sustain sample will play. If I press A3 directly after playing C3, a sample that has the actual recorded transistion between C3 and A3 is played. If\'I\'d played B2 instead of A3, a sample with the actual recorded transition between C3 and B2 would be played. This all happens automatically, with no extra MIDI manipulation by the user.

There is a \"timer\" setting in the tool that allows the user to set the amount of time \"between played notes\" that \"counts\" as legato phrasing. For instance, if I set the tool to 50ms, then if I play C3, then let go of C3 for more than 50ms THEN press A3, a \"standard\" A3 sustain will be played.

This allows the user to set the right \"feel\" for their keyboard playing.

ITs really a fantastic tool. Done very well. The timer based system makes me frustrated to use tools like legato mode in GOS, or even the legato stuff I\'d built into some QLB patches, as it makes for you to have to concentrate on yet another controller... noot to mention giga still has some issues with fast transitions of note off/sustainpedal stuff.

Kontakt has a \"legato\" feature with its time machine setup... but eww....its not fun to use for this type of legato [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by jzuker:
    That little demo that kid-surf posted, as simple and straight forward as it is, is pretty amazing.
    As impressive as the big official demos are, just hearing a short, exposed line like this sells me on the lib. more. I can more readily hear the possibilities.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Me too, when I went to the VSL forum for the first time, I hoped I was gonna dive in a pool richly filled with demos like that. Boy, was I wrong. What I found was 65 alternatives for Action Jackson scores. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

------------
    Alex Cremers

As described VSL uses actual recordings of note to note transitions along with an automatic tool.

In contrast, most legato uses a method of cutting off the attack and decay of second (and third and fourth...) note in a run, so it\'s only the sustain part.

An example:
    Note 1: ADSR
    Note 2: SR
    Note 3: SR...

(I\'m not positive about the \"R\" part. Maybe some solutions skip those on all but the last note.)

I think the tricky part is to get the right blend from note to note. You don\'t want there to be much overlap, or a transition to zero (sucking sound), and you also don\'t want the notes to make instant leaps (cheap ring-tone keyboard). The blend should be something in-between that sounds natural.

So King, is that the kind of method you used for programming QL Brass legato? I just got my copy yesterday (yum), and I\'m thinking about my reprogramming strategy before I fire up the editor.

here are a few ART files for giga here

http://www.musicyouneed.com/ARTupdates/

they use the sustain pedal to swith to \"legato\" settings for the samples. So hit the sustain fonotes other than the first and last of a \"phrase\" or \"lick\"

Wow. Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jason, your strings demo was extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to post that. Very much appreciated.

From Sharmy\'s quick comment, it sounded as though the player would need to continue to press the first note as the second note is played, but then King\'s elaboration is saying that the tool can be set such that even when the first note is no longer pressed, if the time the second note is pressed is within the legato parameter settings, then the tool activates.

I very much appreciate these explanations and can see why VSL\'s legato application must be much easier to work with than other sample libarary\'s approach to acheiving this effect.

What a great forum that one can grasp a relatively complex attribute of a given library so easily and quickly. Thank you again.

Joanne,

remember that Kid\'s demo focusedc on the \"portamento\" effect for legato strings. This is much more of a \"slide\" to the note. There is also a \"traditional\" legato that doesnt have as long of a transition from note to note. Mixing portamento and \"traditional\" along with short bows and standard sustains is the key to making realistic performances with VSL. So while the Legato tool is revolutionary, you still need to remember to use the other samples. (something some people forget)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast